Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Contraception - any plans??

Well - i am sure sleep deprivation and stitches will cover us for a little bit longer!!!!!

but have you thought about what you are going to do.

I had a coil before ttc and it was fab but i have been told that because i got to 8cm dilated before section i most prob wouldnt be allowed the same one.

What are you all doing???? x

Replies

• Options
    I don't know yet, I'm not convinced the pill is the best idea because I don't know when we'll want to ttc the next one (!) and I stressed myself out over whether I was ovulating after coming off the pill last time. I'm breastfeeding and plan to do so exclusively until Jak is 6 months old, but I know someone who conceived her second while breastfeeding and didn't realise she was pregnant because her periods still hadn't returned and so she never thought anything of it. That's a scary thought! Then again, even though I'm still crying daily, stressing over a baby that hates sleeping at night time and am sore from my episiotomy (plus I'm starting to think I have a trapped nerve in my back...) we know we definitely will want more babies in the future. That sort of makes us think that, should we conceive while I'm still feeding, then what will be will be. I don't want to sound reckless though, I'm not!!!

Basically, we're either going to go for good old-fashioned condoms or I'll go back on the pill. I'm not keen on anything more long-term than that, so they're our best options!

Em + Jak x x x
  • Options
    We're not bothering with any - at the moment recovering from episiotomy, having a tiny baby and an OH on shifts is enough of a contraceptive for us!

But we're not planning on using any - took 3 years, a mmc, ectopic and clomid to get our gorgeous boy Freddie so another baby would be an absolute bonus. And we're not getting any younger! I'm 35 and OH is 9 1/2 years older than me....

Welsh & Freddie 3 weeks today

xx
  • Options
    We are going to use condoms for a while, then I'll have another coil fitted. I don't think we will be having any more babies (I have a 10 year old, an 8 year old and now Lily) and my SPD this time was so bad I wouldn't be able to cope with a toddler if I had the same problems again. But I can't rule out feeling broody again...

I'm going to wait until January to have the coil fitted, when Lily is about 10 weeks or so. I had a coil fitted after DS, and that one stayed in there happily for 5 years, brilliant, no problems. I had that one renewed (they need changing every 5 years)- the second one was awful. Heavy bleeding, mid-cycle pain, strings never in the right place (they actually grazed my Hubby a few times- sorry, TMI). I think I need to make sure that I get hubby to take day off this time I get the coil fitted so he can do the school run, and look after Lily while I rest. I didn't do that last time, so maybe it just didn't settle in the right place.

It would never be disastrous if we had 'an accident' but I would prefer to plan a pregnancy- take folic acid, not eat or drink anything potentially harmful.

Alison & Lily (4 weeks today) xx
  • Options
    welshka - i didnt realise you had a clomid baby too. It took us 2.5 years - 1 mc 1 x chemical preg and 1 mm of twins plus clomid. Pavs is also a clomid success.

but we did concieve only 3 months after mmc and i really am not sure my body could cope with another pregnancy so soon as it took abit of a battering with this one.

I know it sounds calus but i also need to go back to work to save for another baby as i need to make sure i can afford the mortgage! and think that if we do decide to have another one then it will be when toby is about 3 years old.

I am 33 and hubby is 34 so we know that the clock is ticking x
  • Options
    hubby having snip after christmas!!! bu t until he gets all clear ill go back on pill.

just to say after ds1 i didnt bother going on pill or anything as we knew would try for another baby when he was 1 and it took years to fall for him but 1 night we decided to go for it 1st timeafter having him i fell preg with ds2 so tiny age gap image
  • Options
    I am going to go back on the pill....but midwife said it would be the mini pill??? Never asked her why not my normal pill....hmmmm going off to invesigate on the net why I cant have my normal pill... xx
  • Options
    I'm gonna go back on the pill. Although stitches are ruling things out at the minute, not that I could be bothered anyway!!

It was a complete surprise when we found out I was pregnant with Sophie, as o/h was told he couldn't have kids. Although we have been careful with money through my pregnancy, i'm only gonna get smp for all the time i'm on mat leave and so we're probably gonna struggle quite a bit as I am the main earner between us. So another "accident" until we get ourselves sorted money wise is off the cards.

Saying that, we may not be able to have any more so got to make the most of our beautiful daughter just incase. She is fab image

Nici xxx
  • Options
    I too had to resort to clomid to conceive Brody after we had a mmc last year which devastated me. It was so stressful afterwards trying to fall pg again and although I look back now and Im thankful for what I/we went through due to what I learnt and who I became as a result of it, I don't want to go through all that stress again with all the monitoring, being a POAS addict and basically losing the plot!!

So we won't be using anything and are just letting our next lo (who I believe will be my little girl Lily returning for the 3rd time) come when she is ready. Im 35 in Feb and we are prepared to have them close together if that's what happens.

But for now.... stitches and recovery are our form of contraception! The way I feel I prob wont be up for anything for some time yet :lol: And we are just enjoying our time as a family of 3 plus our beloved cat until it extends!

xx
  • Options
    a chastity belt :lol: well at the minute I am still quite painful so thats contraception enough at the moment, I think when I am fully healed we will go back to using condoms again. At the minute I am very adament that Olivia is going to be an only child, I know that could change in the future but at the minute I really dont want any more babies.

Roslyn & Olivia (39 days)