Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

BLW's help please (TMI)

Hey Ladies,

This is probably the oddest question im ever likely to ask image

Z has had an awful stomach bug the last few days (I mean gross) my husband was gagging changing his nappies and my husband has an iron stomach!!!
Anyway last night I did cottage pie and mixed veg for us (I serve it up too Z exactly as I do for us) Well anyway and sorry about this TMI!!! he has just done a poo and last nights mixed veg has come out totally whole as if it had just come out of the bag!!! OMG image A) I thought he was chewing his food a little but infact he seems to just be swallowing it whole B) it means his stomach didn't even attempt to digest it

He passed out a baby carrot whole!!!! how the hell did he do that?? It must have hurt like hell.

Have any of you had this with your Lo's? Hubby is now going nuts about BLW and saying its bad for him and that we should puree everything if he's not chewing. There is no way I want to go backwards on this. He loves eating what we have. However I realise swallowing whole baby carrots is a bit of a problem.

Help?

xxx

Replies

• Firstly, if he couldnt swallow it, he would have gagged and brought it back up and spat it out ;\)

Secondly, think about it if it were you. Sorry for this sounding gross, but if you've ever been sick after eating a meal with carrots and corn.. what do you see in your sick (or out the other end! :x )?! In fact corn seems to get in there even if you havent eaten it image So I take that as these items take longer to digest. So if Z's tummy bug is forcing things through his system so quick that there isnt enough digestion time compared to normal then I would say there is nothing really odd about it. As long as he doesnt seem bothered by eating what you are giving him then I dont see a problem.

How many teeth does he have? I found once Brody's top 2 teeth came down he could chew so much more and he really progressed with his eating. I personally wouldnt go backwards, especially at this age they would start to have finger foods and more lumpy stuff anyway if you were going down the traditional puree route.

• Lol :lol:

Your so right.

He loves having what we have and doesn't seem fussed about swallowing things whole. Lol

He only has 2 teeth so I guess he is still just really sucking food.
    Your right about carrots and corn - I hadn't thought about it like that. I guess they do take longer. Everything does seem to be rushing through his system.
    Thanks Mummabear hubby had totally panicked me.

xx
  • It is a little bit funny when you think about it! I did have a giggle when I first read it I have to admit.
    Just reassure hubby that he will have his top teeth soon and will learn to chew better with them, and in the meantime if it doesnt bother him then there isnt much to worry about. Im sure the carrots are soft enough else he wouldnt have swallowed them!