Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09

Night time feeds - Am exhausted now - ideas?

Hi Ladies,

Just picking your brains really - As you know im expecting number 2 and am 24 weeks tomoz so its getting closer - Yay

However I am beyond shattered partly to do with being Pg but also because Z is still asking for bedtime bottles. Im usually more than ready for bed at 9pm but Z then asks for a bottle at 10.30 and then again at 2.30 and then again at 5.30 - Im losing the will to live. I don't know how to get him to stop this. I watched the sleep programme the other night and both experts seemed to at some point remove all night feeds from the baby but I've tried this and Z screams until he vomits which is even worse. He refuses to have bottles throughout the day instead wanting his sippy cup with water which is fine I don't mind that at all but he does still want and need his milk but only wants it at night. Am i being too soft? should I go cold turkey on him and refuse him his night feeds? So confused. He is eating tonnes during the day now so should in theory be sleeping through the night????

Ideas?

xx

Replies

• Am afraid my first lo was like this but we did do cc at 11 mths and she slept through fine. She used to do the vomiting thing too up til this point and it was really difficult. Sorry only know the tough approach works for me x
  • I have no advice chick only sympathy! We're still up every night with Freddie too - he drinks minimal milk during the day (especially on the days he's at nursery) but is more than happy to drink milk at night (3 or 4 times)
    Watched the sleep programme too and know we couldn't do tough love with Freddie - because of the vomit and because I'm far too soft ...

Sending sleepy hugs xx
  • Hi Mini Moo,

Scarlett only stopped requesting a night feed when she went into her own room and started crawling. It's like she's so tired from the day that she slept through and although she used to drink terribly during the day she now drinks properly and Ive changed nothing. I was given advice prior to this as it was 7 months and HV seemed shocked she wasnt sleeping through but I just knew it would happen naturally, which it did at 8 months. Dont know if Z is crawling yet but it changed everything for us, literally within a few days.

Inka xxx
  • HV has advised a final feed of porridge before bed to help satisify and sleep. While don't you try a porridge snack about 7.30 and see how that goes?

HJS
  • Gosh it's difficult! Is he having long sleeps through the day? Try him with a follow on milk through the day, one morning noon an night don't make them full though just 3 oz will be enough and 1 sleep over lunch time.. Sorry I may not be any help but this is roddy's pattern xx
  • I know your little one isnt well just now but once hes back to himself & eating again why dont you try some porridge or weetabix either before his bath or after & a small bottle. My HV suggested this as Jack was waking during the night for a feed or waking very early for a feed. We have tweeked it a bit & Jack has is porridge at 6pm, bath between 6.30 & 7pm then 5-6oz bottle once hes out the bath. He sits in hes rocking seat we have watching cartoons & he has his bottle. Sometimes he drinks is all & other times he leaves 2-3 oz. We have found that its working quite well & hes sleeping from 7.30pm till 5.30/6am ish image

xx