Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Waking baby for last feed - family think I'm mad...

Hi all,
OK so who of us wake their LO's at 10-11pm at night to have another last feed / dream feed before going to bed ? We put Jasmine to bed at 7pm ish then wake her at 10pm and my Mum and sister think we are MAD.....! We tried not waking her then she would wake at 12:30-1am, she has started to go till 4am ish with this feed.
Anyone else had feedback that they left babies to sleep in our day.................???!!!
I keep getting such contradicting advise that I keep questioning if we are doing the right thing....?
S
XX

Replies

• up until a week ago Toula is 14 weeks today i was giving her a 10pm feed but then she started just taking an ounce so i stopped and she sleeps 7/8pm til 7am if thats ant help?

i dint think your mad if it means she sleeps through then carry on i know my niece does it if she doesnt give to them they wake at 5am!
  • Sandygiz

I dreamfeed Sophie between 10.30-11pm every night. Sometimes she will take 3oz sometimes only an ounce. But if I dont give her the bottle she will wake at 130-2am and if I do she will go until 4/5/6.

I am in a total palava with feed times and amounts at the minute so am not much use, but just wanted to let you know you are not the only one who is unsure what to do!!

Nici xxx
  • ajmum - if only she would sleep through from the 10pm feed...!! It takes her to 4amish on a good night but we seem to be far off her even remotely sleeping thro.......
    Like you Nicidee when we didn't give it to her she would wake at 1am ish.
    S
  • Hey hon - we do it! We wake Finn every night at 10pm for his last feed! If it means you get some more sleep by feeding at a more sociable hour rather than the middle of the night then why not I say! xx
  • I don't wake him in the night because he goes right through, but I always have to wake Jak from his nap to feed him. We even wake him in the morning pretty much every day! I don't think you're mad, it sounds like it's the best thing for your lo to go through the night from that last feed, in which case it's definitely worth doing. People go on at you for so many things, my friend thought I was mad when at 4 weeks I wasn't trying to keep Jak awake all day so he'd sleep through. It never worked for us, and it ended up backfiring for her, so I know I did the right thing.

In the end, you do what's best for your family. It's hard to get others to understand at the best of times! I've spent all day trying to get through to my MIL that Jak doesn't need people to stay with him in order to fall asleep... it's not easy!

x x x
  • it will come hun x one day she will just sleep through keep doing what your doing mm always knows best x
  • Definately not mad ! Do what is best for you and your baby I say.

We've done the dream with Brody since about 4wks (he is now 13wks). It was 6oz then we upped to 7oz a few weeks ago, and from this week started giving him 8oz after advice from hv (I use EBM 6oz (all I can get out) then top up with 2oz formula). He usually smashes it down. We never wake him but he doesnt remain totally asleep as his nappy is so full before we start the feed that it needs changing, then again after it before putting him back down. He goes straight off back to sleep though. This was seeing him through to 6/7am until his growth spurt so Im now still battling the 3am wakeup which Im hoping is about to disappear!

xx
  • I am gatecrashing from Oct.
    My mum and MIL also think we are mad and say it is such a shame to pick him up when he is sleeping! But from 2 weeks ago (18 weeks old) He has been sleeping from his 10.30pm until 7/7.30am. I personally think persevering was worth it.
    We also tried to stop it a while back but he would wake about 1am and then about 5am.
    It took us a while though he used to wake at 4/5am most nights but we gradually reduced the amount he got at this time until I was only giving him 2oz and then all of a sudden he slept through and he's done it ever since!
    We have now started to reduce the amount at the dreamfeed in a hope of dropping it too. We are on 5oz at the moment at this time.

A&O (20 weeks)