Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Anyone having bottle / bf probs still?

As you know I'm back at work doing 12.5 hour shifts. Lo took next to nothing on Monday so only had his morning feed before I left and thats it. He is 8.5 mths but slowly being weaned as he is very reluctant and will only take water from cup but refuses point blank when its milk of any description. Have lots of bottles and cups but nothing suits him. Tried formula and breast milk. He has taken bottle 3 or 4 times - in his life - but only bout an oz or 2. So worried about Friday as working again. Any ideas/ tips appreciated. I was fine at work but oh had quite a rough day and i'm sure i'm not getting the full story. So my boy was prob crying lots and hungry altho he did take more food than normal.

On another note my boobs were heaving :lol: when I got home from work so I expressed and got 250 mls and then had to get up in middle of night to express as couldn;'t sleep with pain. Trying to cut to 2 bf a day (morning and night) and ff in afternoon but obviously this is not happening. This was why I didn't express at work as want to cut supply but need to express to reduce pain from fullness. SO what to do? Didn't have this prob with first lo as she cut to 1 bf on her own and therefore I wasn't too sore. Also she took her bottle image

AAAAAAAGH so desperate to get my boy happy so I can relax at work x image:roll::\(

Replies

• im stalking you for potential answers from other members lol canilla essence was a no go as was a bit of his fruity porridge mixed in image
  • We're still bf'ing morning and night, Freddie has bottles through the day.
    Nowhere near as worrying a problem as yours but Freddie won't take a bottle at nursery. He's there 3 full days a week and we're lucky if he takes 5 oz throughout the whole day when he's there. The only way they can get that into him is with a sippy cup. It's frustrating as Freddie will happily take a bottle from me and oh but he won't have one at nursery. Doubly frustrating as he'll also drain a bottle in the middle of the night but maybe only takes 1/2 during the day.
    I wish I had some advice for you, I've discussed Freddie's bottle refusal with 2 hv's. One suggested nursery give him juice or water instead; I resisted the urge to laugh at her. The other said they should offer him the bottle and if he refused to use a beaker instead which is what they're doing. She said he'd probably learn to accept one from them in time.

Sorry hun that's no help at all. I hope someone can come up with some advice for you xx
  • Still no luck today. I fed him morning mid afternoon and eve. After luchtime nap I tried juice and water but he wouldn't take it so gave him boob as worried bout dehydration. Was taking some water but nowhere near enough. Will phone hv tmw I think as getting desperate. Thanks for reply bump buddy. Hope Freddie starts to take bottle at nursery. They're funny aren't they the way they know their own minds. x
  • I'm sorry you didn't have any joy today hun, Freddie only took 2 oz at nursery all day but he did at least have water at snacktime, lunchtime and tea. When we got home he had 4 oz followed by another 4oz and boob at bedtime ... he'll still wake at 1030 for more...

Have you managed to contact your hv? xx
  • Yes she came out today but had no new ideas. She said a morning and night feed should be enougha and as long as he had some water and was eating during the day things should work out. I'm not convinced he's having enough food and drink but she wants a food diary and to go back next week to see what (if anything) is happening. Poor Freddie, is he happy at nursery apart from bottles? x
  • She wasn't a huge help then?! Will Z eat milky stuff - can you get it into him that way? I've just changed porridge to one you make with milk not water and Freddie's not objected yet and he loves pasta and broccoli in cheese sauce and rice pud, so I tend to make sure he's getting plenty of these. If I don't think he's had enough to drink I give a piece of melon to chomp on! I do worry though as he was only 16lb 3 when we last had him weighed and has dropped way below his line.
    I spoke with the manager at nursery today and she's happy with the way he's settled, he doesn't cry when OH drops him off and he does eat while he's there - even if it's nothing like the food he gets at home! He's settled better than i imagined he would as I'd never left him with anyone but oh and he'd been really clingy

• Brody started back on his milk and even to the point where he screamed for more so I had to increase the amount in his bottles. What may have been the key to success for us was to start warming the bottle again. At first I was against hubby's suggestion to do this b/c he should get used to drinking cooler milk but I gave in and realise it's just the way he prefers it. So whatever makes him happy.. he can have warm milk.

If other cups etc dont work, have you tried one with a straw? Brody couldnt take to any of the sippy cups either but within the first week of giving him one with the straw he has mastered it all by himself... dont dare touch it while he is drinking!!
    Or what about the diddy cup?