Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Sleeping in moses basket/flat on back

Hi all,

Ariana is quite happy to sleep on boob (tsk tsk) or craddled but as soon as I put her down on her back - particually in moses basket at night - she wakes straight back up and then we need to go through feeding as she will not settle from being upset without feeding which then leeds to needing a change which results in her being awake for about another hour or so.

The only time I can get her to sleep in moses basket is if she feeds then i gently roll her away from body so she isn't next to my body heat, holding her until she goes into a really deep sleep then really really gentle sneak her into her basket. (which takes ages)

Not really how I want bed times to go. If i don;t respond to her crying she gets hysterical and partner is back at work now so not really an option to let her cry everytime she goes in basket.

Any ideas?

Replies

• II have exactly the same problem! Although the past 2 nites I have fed her, put her on my chest until in a deep sleep then put her down. both nites she has managed 2 hrs so I feel like im getting there a bit!!

MW told me to pad the basket out so she sinks into it. raise her head slightly. put hot water bottle i first to make warm and roll up some blankets to put either side of her so it feels like she is being cuddled?!!

xx
  • oh! I forgot i've got a sleep positioner it looks a bit big though I should dig it out. once she is asleep in the basket she will sleep for a bit its just the initial laying down.

defo going to try your tips hopefully we will work this out!
  • Brody can sleep on his back sometimes, but when he had lots of trapped wind we tried him on his side - with a bigger rolled up blanket behind his back on one side, and a smaller one rolled up at his front (making sure we pull it down to the bottom of the moses basket so it doesnt come up near his face) so that he doesnt roll forward. Even without his trapped wind now, we find he sleeps better this way. I think it's the comfort of being snuggled in, and also just being on his side as opposed to his back. We just make sure to alternate the way he faces each time he goes down.

xx