Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

any tips on night time!

ok basically need some advice as there are a lotof babies on here that are good lo's and sleeping through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mason has only just started on food not for lack of trying just not interested - he is 25 weeks so young one and getting him weighed today but at 20 weeks he was nearly 18lb so bigish lad!!!!

he still wakes in night - some nights stirs alot and husband dummies until comes to bed at 1am and then i usually feed him 1.30/2am but like today he then woke 5.20 and was obvisouly still tired so dummied for half hour and then ended up with him with me and he conked!!! TYPICAL!

Other nights he will have feed at 7.30 and then wake midnight crying after stiring for ages and only way to get him back off is feed - then he will wake at 4ish and again will have to feed! just mad as he is 6 months surly shouldnt have this in night!

now as he is taking feeds HV say he needs it but me thinking he isnt overly hungry baby and perhaps its more habit and whilst he will go off ok for naps etc in day with no feed so no association bottle then sleep in night he obviously cannot get back off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what have people tried???? watering down, just water, leaving to cry (but then for how long until you would think they ARE hungry and feed)???

i sort of feel like i need to try and tackle as getting sooo tired as sleep in so interupted as toddler wakes me by shouting out dreaming and up early so getting an hour then woken hour woken if you get me!!!

also tried hungry baby other night and he woke more so that didnt work!

as he has just taken to food he is having bot around 8am (but as feeding in night not bothered bout this one and at a push will only take 5oz..... then been trying him with porridge at 9.30am, bot around 12 food around 1 then bot 4ish and food 5.30ish then bot 7.30!

but noticed the milk he is not taking much if having food!

do people do food first or milk?????

Replies

• My book had said to do milk first before solids but I didnt follow this to a t. Breakfast he has milk (bf) first, then porridge. But lunch and dinner he has food first, then milk (bottle). Brody has been on solids for 6 wks now and the past week he has started refusing or taking less of his lunch and dinner milk feeds. Now that he is eating more solids Im going to try and separate the food and milk feeds cos I think he just gets too full to take any.

When Brody started wanting to feed in the night at 16wks I did this a week or 2 (growth spurt) then got hubby to go to him in the night to break the association with the boob before it became a habit. It worked. Now we have him sleeping through again but he can wake sometimes when grizzly from teething. I found also that introducing a sound (and light) show helped. When he does wake in the night and wont settle or wants to play (like he did one night last week!!) I will put the sound on (no lights) and he settles straight away. I use this in the day as part of his sleep routine.
  • Hi,

Scarlett never slept through so feel your pain too! She seems very hungry at the mo and is waking earlier for food (11pm, 4/5am) and I think she's having a growth spurt so I know I cant stop feeding her but like you worry she's 6 months (still in our room cant I cant face getting up several times) and not moving on. Im going to keep going until I notice a difference in how much she drinks or if it goes on excessively, my Paed suggested I put baby rice in a 11pm feed but Im yet to do it as I dont think it will work and there's loads of negative opinions on it.

So hard though, Im so tired, going out next Thurs (staying out) and it will be the first time I get to sleep since she was born!

Inka xxx