Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09

Am I the only one?

Brody gets upset at every meal time and I dont know whats wrong. It starts when we put him in his high chair, he grizzles. Just like when we put him in his car seat (but then he stops when the dummy goes in... but hardly an option at meal times)!
I was doing a combination of blw and mushed up food. At the end of last week he refused any puree type stuff so I stopped doing it and focused on giving him finger foods. But now Ive reintroduced the mushy stuff as well.
I seem to have to break the feed, take him away and settle him, and then come back and start over. He feeds better on my lap after calming him down and then sometimes Im able to put him back in the high chair but often he will start up crying again.
I dont know whether he just doesnt like being in the chair, or if its the food (I give him a wide range of food and he likes it 1 minute, not the next, then will happily eat again - and I always include his favourites! so cant be that can it?) Or maybe it's his digestive system giving him grief?? (he has reflux but not sure how much pain he gets from it anymore and im not keen to reduce his meds until we can have happy feed times). Im thinking it was maybe his teeth but they seemed to have settled down after coming through.

Is it just me or is anyone else having problems every meal time? I think we had one meal time in the past week that didnt involve tears!
Im feeling a bit at a loss.

Replies

• we had a few meals like this and we do blw - i hated the highchair so bought a concord lima which is fabulous - he can reach food so much better rtc. But why dont you try feeding him at the table with Brody sitting on your lap - be prepared to get covered though! I was really worried when toby got anxious in his high chair but it did pass - and sitting on mummies lap helped alot - i will tag you in a photo of toby in the lima - much more independant. x
  • Thanks summer. It's probably me being guilty of getting ahead of myself again, thinking this will last forever!!! Just like he became a nightmare in the car seat and then the buggy when we changed it to have him sat up and strapped in, maybe this is just a phase too that will also pass.
    We do lap feeding when the high chair fails but i dont want to do that permanently as the aim is to have him feed the same time as us. He is fiercely independent anyway so Im sure he will have enough of us feeding him and want to do it all on his own in a matter of time!

I just wish sometimes that they could come right out and tell us what's bothering them!
  • or speech bubbles baove their heads???
  • :lol: now that's a great idea!

Lunchtime was an absolute nightmare today, after a pretty good breakfast. I was at the end of my tether with him! So tonight for dinner I abandoned the tray on his high chair (I have the Ikea one) and pulled it up to the table and I sat next to him at the table. It worked a treat and he wolfed down his entire dinner and wanted more.
    Will see how it goes tomorrow when I do this again but I think he just has the sh**s with being held in by the tray!! (issue with car seat and buggy was being restrained).

Such a little person with such a big personality!!
  • ahhh - so it is Mr Independent! I think his speech bubble would say

"i am a big boy now mummy and want to eat at the table - and also can you not kiss me quite so much in public now its embarassing! - and the singing REALLY" x