Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Always look on the bright side of life :D

Replies

• Love no 17!! Gorgeous!

Glad you are staying positive but I am sorry about your dad. Your poor family are really going through it just now. Love to you all xx
  • Glad you are doing ok- hope you manage to recuperate before the Chemo. Love the photo's! xx
  • Hi Em,

Just wanted to drop by and let you know im thinking of you (i actually think of you most days, but not in a weird stalker-type way, i promise!). Your photos are stunning, what a gorgeous little boy you have.

Sending big hugs and lots of love xx
  • I always wanted a stalker image I know what you mean though, I think of all of you a lot too and I am very very greatful for all the support you have all offered and shown.

Im glad you all like the pictures, he is gorgeous im so so proud of him. Although he's scared me tonight he was sat between his daddies legs watching Anne Robinson (has to be better than Jezza Kyle :lolimage daddy moved back expecting him to fall back into him and he stayed up, sat unsupported image may have only been for 30 seconds but seriously hes 13 weeks?! Is this not too early? Wheres that tiny helpless baby gone and gone so quickly too! His daddy is overjoyed will have him doing acrobats at 4 months :lol: im shell shocked!

Sarah I LOVE the beach, we went with friends recently as we reguarly walk our dogs together and it was brill cant wait to go again when its a bit warmer and I can dip my toes in the sea (and possibly Dylans too image) all ideas for family trips very welcome were thinking of trying to go abroad towards the end of the year and maybe a cottage break by the sea with our other baby (im so soft on our dog) when ive finished chemo. Memory making but also it gives us time as a family alone which is really really important.

I spoke to soon re my voice its gone again, I think im scaring my in laws answering the phone :lol: darth vadar has more projection than I do and its starting to wind me up maybe I will have to just shut up for a bit and let it recover but if you ask anyone who knows me they would say the possibility of that is nil :lol: ah well im sure it'll make a reappearance soon!

Hope you are all well

much love x x x x
  • I dont mind anyone posting your not gate crashing. Ive not got a bear yet going to just need my voice to come back, been to doctor who said its either laryngitis or a temporary nerve paralysis caused by radiotherapy I have drugs for both :lol: loved your idea though, it was certainly one of my faves and im excited about building it image

WB thank you for the ideas for days out, helps you know the area image were definitely going to go to Heaton Park farm possibly around April when it will be warmer, will walk the dog then leave him with friends whilst we take Dylan to look at the moo cows, i'll also look into the others

xxxx
  • Em I am so sorry I haven't posted on here for ages or sent you a text, I just dont seem to have enough hours in the day to get on the computer much at the minute. I do think about you all the time though.

Hope those drugs are working and you get your voice back again soon. It must be murder for a talkaholic not to be able to talk or sing!!

I love looking at your pics (the family ones are fab) from all your days out, you really make me feel guilty as Sophie and I dont do half as much and look at everything you are going through.

Big hugs re your dad too I hope his consultation with the doc went well and there is more they can do for him. Your family seem so strong and it is great that you are all so positive.

Let us know what they say when you go on Monday, bummer about the chemo date maybe being 8th March but the quicker they start it the quicker hopefully it will kill this horrible thing that is so unfair!

Keep smiling image

Love Nici and Sophie xxx
  • Hey ladies

Was gonna post yesterday but felt utterly awful and was veering from crying to wanting to punch things so decided better of it!

My appointment told me nothing about when and what chemo I will be having as they are investigating whether im suitable for a trial drug, tests take about 2 weeks, which means I get my birthday and all important mothers day off and treatment free image feel still like im in limbo but as the doctor said OVER AND OVER its about holding it back and giving me longer but they cant say for certain whether they can achieve this or if they can how successful it will be, but at minute im well and so theres no rush. (was very depressing to hear this over and over)

The radio has slightly shrunk the tumour especially around my spine, which is good not a miracle but should hopefully improve quality of life (im assuming its why im pain free!) surgery still not an option there basically having it as a last ditch option. As theres a large possibility this tumour will eventually paralyse me, something that scares the hell out of me and they wanna avoid if they can (v v doubtful if it grows the way they think it will) but the operation would be massive very invasive and disruptive and they are reluctant to ruin my quality of life for little if any benefit at the minute and it will always be a case of weighing up the risks with any potential benefits.

The thing that upset me the most yesterday was the reaction from some people to all the above. All my friends etc have been told point blank i'm not getting better but im having treatment etc. One reply I got yesterday was well you have to be around a long time yet to see me get married and have a baby, I actually cried in Manchester city centre Costa coffee, as I looked at Dylan and thought the first thing a friend considers is her "potential" milestones and I wont even see my little man grow up, im fighting so hard for precious time that others take for granted and I got so so angry. I still havent fully calmed down my main milestones are Dylan crawling, walking, talking etc I am of course gutted I may miss other peoples important days (my sisters especially and my best friend is still single and I really wanna know who she will settle with whether she will have babies) BUT I will go mad if I focus on those I have to prioritise and Dylan and Steven are my priorities and rather selfishly I got very very angry then upset that someone couldnt see that! God thats a rant and a half :lol:

I also have a sponsorship page for doing SHINE http://www.sponsormetoshine.org/emveelaurenandcazza this is my begging part image

On the happy side today I feel much better I went to a weaning club with Dylan, was nice to do something baby related only with my boy, now I have some spare time we have a packed week and im really looking forward to it. Hubby is pushing me to go to stuff as I tend to lose my confidence a bit when im ill and he knows that I want to do it its just I freeze a little so if he pushes me I go feel better (like today) and both me and Dylan benefit, so win win image

I hope your all well, will try my best to catch up with all the threads was sorry to read your struggling MC but I think your doing a fab job with 2 and i'll reply in a minute

Much love x x x x
  • Hi!
    Glad you are getting your birthday chemo free. It's the small things that get you through the day some times. Your friend meant nothing by what she said. She's just sad at the thought of you missing important days in her life. Yes it's a bit selfish but also an indication of how important you are to her.
    Love your little milestones with Dylan. Crawling, first tooth etc. It means you enjoy and appreciate everthing.
    Keep well. Thinking about you xx
  • Oh honey, have been trying to get on and see how you are going. Sorry you have been feeling so rough. Truly understandable so give yourself a break. I can also understand why you felt the way you did with your friends reply. Though she may have said it to give you some hope to keep on going, rather than to overlook your own milestones. Just a thought. But whatever she actually meant, you are well and truly entitled to a rant image Thats why we are here for you. I hope you are feeling ok now that a few days has past.

One day at a time hon. You are still doing so amazingly well!!

Im also glad you get to have a break for your birthday and mothers day. That will be lovely for you.

What is the weaning club with Dylan? Are you moving him on to solids soon?

xx
  • You're entitled to be angry sweetie. You amaze me with your strength and dignity and although im sure your friend meant well, she should realise that you have other milestones to focus on which are so much more important.
    I hope you're feeling a little better today, and ill continue to pray for that miracle for you xx
  • Thanks ladies image its taken a while but I feel stronger. Hospital appointments are hard work and we've had a week of sorting out practical things for work. Hubby is going back to work on a staggered return from 16th March, which im pleased about as I would life to return to as much of a normality as possible but also petrified about as he's been here looking after us for so long now can I cope?! But if im honest we dont need him to be at home full time anymore as im not having daily treatment and they have promised to allow him to be home if/when im ill from chemo as Steven sees it as Dylan is his son if I cant look after him as im ill then its his responsibility as were his family he doesnt want to rely on friends and family for anything other than support and fun. So we have that sorted and in the next week I have senior people from my work coming here to discuss how they can help and what they can offer us. Everyones trying to help and asking what we need but were very self sufficient and its weird when your boss rings you up and asks you what do you want and the only answer you can think of is ermmmmmmmmmm nothing?! I joked a holiday and there trying to sort it, feel awful why should we get a holiday?!

My friend did mean well, it hurt and a few other friends have questioned her tact and whether she thinks before she speaks/texts but I will let it go as at the end of the day it was meant well.

MC you rebel, that did make me laugh! Did you used to live in Manchester as I know you live Sheffield way now dont you? Just as Sheffield is on my parents train line and I have spent many a train ride to Meadowhell as I christened is image

Sim the weaning club is a monthly guidance session organised by my local primary care trust. I went this month as I wanted ideas (Dylan already on cereals and wont hold off till 6 months) and I may not be able to go next month so whilst the little monkey was awake and happy I nipped down and got some freebies and some recipes. Was just nice to get out, just need to try and get my little man awake earlier from his morning nap now so we can do some more baby activities as hes always asleep and waking a napping baby to jog off to rhyme and story time isnt such a bright idea if you want a happy little man!

Heres to many more milestones for my little man image

Thanks ladies for being so supportive know its a depressing subject but I always appreciate how supportive and positive you all are and you always make me feel better

xxxxxx
  • This is long now. You have a right to prioritise. And you're ultra organised re weaning. Good luck with that. Glad that work is being understanding and helpful. Will ahve a look at shine x
  • Hey ladies

Was going to start another thread about this but its all connected and i'd quite like this thread to be a journey for Dylans memory box.

It looks like im going to be a SAHM, I asked work to look into how going keytime like planned would effect my pension and life insurance linked to work. So they looked at all the options and the best for my boys is pension me off due to ill health. Im really happy my boys will be financially secure and that I will be able to stay at home with Dylan and spend the weekends, whcih I would have been working as a family. But I am gutted in a way the last piece of normality that was my life has now gone, I love my job im good at it and it gives me a great deal of satisfaction, plus the decision was kind of made for me rather than my choice even though it would have been my choice anyway as as I said to senior management my main priority is making sure Steven and Dylan are financially secure.

Other than that hubby has gone back to work I have had a ball the past 3 days looking after him alone despite the fact that we both have a cold, poor Dylan cant understand why his throat is sore and why mucus keeps building up so he chokes a little on it. He's still smiling most the time and we are much closer as I cant rely on hubby to help so as I do everything myself hes much more reliant on me and responds better I absolutely love it and get such a great sense of achievement from looking after him, since everyone keeps asking can I manage him when i'm holding him as I can only use one arm the answer is yes I bloody well can!!!!!!

I just wanted to rant a little, im a little sad at the change but pleased I will get family time and time to build memories just think it will take a bit of getting used to.

MC im sory realised I never replied to your question I live in Swinton in Manchester, absolutely love it, used to live near Holmfirth where they film last of the summer wine but weirdly bar the green fields, which I miss lots this feels far more like home image

xxxx
  • Heya - Ive just had a chance to catch up on whats been happening - it's such a long thread but a great place to keep everything for Dylan to read through.
    Sorry you wont get chance to go back to work Em - but I think you have an amazing outlook on it from what youve written it must be so much to take in and more new stuff to get used to.
    Everyone means well though - I think it must be hard for some people to know whats best and what can come across as insensitive.
    Hey - Dylan is one lucky lil man to have a Mum like you - and it's great to see he loves spending time with you having fun.
    Im trying to be positive for you as you say - this is supposed to be a positive post - you are soo doing the best thing for everyone by staying this way and making the best of everything, it would probably be too easy to just give up - but it's so amazing that youre giving Dylan and hubs some amazing memories by trying so hard to stay busy and have as much fun as you can
    Thinking of you
    xax and 17 week old Amber Loubie
    xax
  • You are so strong xxx you are entitled to feel sad that you are not going back to work especially as it is something that you really enjoy xxxx
  • It is a shame for you about your work hon but Im pleased that on the other hand you will get more time to spend with your boys. Im sure you will find lots to do to fill your days!!

xx
  • The great Intensive care story....... this is going to be a long one!

I started with a cold on Monday 22nd, which wasn't too bad just made me cough a lot, hubby had it as did Dylan and I was more concerned about him. As the week progressed I started feeling breathless, thinking it was the cold coupled with the cancer I just got on with it. I went out with a friend Thursday and was fine whilst sitting, eating etc but when we said goodbye I couldn't walk 10 yards without stopping and gasping. I rang hubby telling him I was getting a taxi and couldnt breathe, I got home and started to feel better. Friday I felt fluey all day, still breathless when I moved but was ok resting so me and Dylan had a quiet day. Saturday I felt better till around 3ish when I felt fluey so went for a lie down, woke at 4 and stumbled to the bathroom couldnt breathe or stop coughing, I promptly threw up looked in the mirror and realised I was blue. Went downstairs sat on couch was going to ask hubby to call out of hours when he made the suggestion himself as I was blue. He rang out of hours who said to call 999. All I could think was what about Dylan, so we rang some friends who were just about to have their Saturday evening drink who dropped everything to go home get the car so they could meet us at the hospital. Only when I knew he was sorted would I let hubby ring the ambulance.

So I had an ambulance car and then a blue lighter outside my house, Dylan was strapped into an ambulance in his car seat whilst it blue lighted me to hospital (an experience his daddy can no doubt tell him about!) we got to a&e and they strapped me up to all these machines and started talking intensive care. I was a student on ICU and as lovely a place it is you just dont want to be a patient on there. But they decided I was very sick, they thought pneumonia and I needed extra care. The next few hours on ICU were them saying if your figures keep dropping were going to put you to sleep and me saying that isnt what I want. In the end they listened to me and put me on a mask that forces your airways open, that did the trick.

I was on a lot of support oxygen and breathingwise for a few days all the tests showed I was getting worse not better. They agreed that putting me to sleep wasn't the best option as I would struggle to get off the ventilator and I had made my feelings perfectly clear I did not want to die in hospital, and certainly didnt want Steven to have to make the decision to turn the machine off. So plans were made to discharge me home with a package in place so that I could continue to deteriorate at home as there was little else they could do. However around wednesdya I started to look better, although the xrays and other things were still awful, I appeared to improve and they couldn't explain why. The plan was still in place that if I wasn't improving enough by friday I could go home and die but we also started to make plans for if I continued to improve.

As the week progressed I got stronger, they no longer wanted me to go home as they wanted to get me as well as they could. They queried blood clots in my lungs as another cause and sent me for a scan, which showed infection on retreat, no clots AND in the 3 months since my last scan no real progression in the cancer in my chest! That gave me the final boost to really prove them all wrong. They told me I was dead on paper and they were shocked I was still alive at one point they'd all written me off, we had discussions on do not resucitate orders and me and hubby had to talk funerals and he had to tell our friends they thought i'd be dead by the end of the week. It was the hardest 10 days ever and the worst thing was seeing the pain on Stevens face and only seeing Dylan for 2 hours every other day.

Im now home, oxygen is still needed but not often, im very weak walkingwise after being in bed all that time but i'm fighting still. Im not done yet, I didnt feel done last week and i'm not planning on going anywhere soon! Being home with my 3 boys is the best medicine ever!

Sorry this is long but its kind of therapeutic to wrote it down, a lot of it is a haze as I was so unwell, but the main thing I remember is even after all the grim conversations me and Steven laughed lots, we still made the most of the time we had and I think it made all the diference to me getting better

Much love to you all xxxxxxxxx
  • You've done it again - im sat here in tears!
    I know we all keep saying it, but there really are no words to describe just how strong and brave I think you are.
    A lot of people would have given up, but you just keep on fighting and proving the doctors wrong. Amazing.
    Im so glad you're at home with your family and that you and Steven are still laughing. Sounds like you've got yourself a pretty special man there.
    Sending you lots of love, and thinking of you as always xx
  • I ditto what Ellie.x says.

I had a lump in my throat at the beginning & crying by the end. You are an insperation to us all & an amazing lady.

Keep up the good work & keep proving those doctors wrong. Glad your at home with your boys.

Big hugs & kisses
    Stacey & Jack
    xx
  • Lost for words x