Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is your bubba a wriggler too?

We still have Brody in his moses basket and he is such a wriggler that by the time we get him up his legs are so bunched up at the bottom of it and sometimes he hangs them over the end! There is plenty of room still in there, it is on a bit of a slant as recommended. He does the same thing when we have had to put him in our bed - he ends up half way down the bed by morning!

Just wondering though, is it time to move him to a cot now? I guess he will do the same in there but it seems a bit tough to have him with his legs dangling at the end of the moses basket though.

We don't have a cot yet as we still don't know if we are coming or going (ie moving back to oz...hubby is interviewing with jobs at the mo). But Im happy to buy a smaller cot for now even if only for a few months.

Anyone else moved their lo to a cot yet?

Brody is 4 wks tomorrow.

xx

Replies

• Yes!! Olivia has always been a wriggler but she is non stop now!! We have a small crib in the bedroom and we have to keep her in a grobag because she constantly kicks the blankets off her.
  • Yup - Finn has enough strength in his legs to "crawl" up and down my belly, if you need a cheap and cheerul cot ours is from Ikea (??28!) and its perectly strong and stable - the mattress is a bit more - about ??45 but if you aren't sure if you are moving or not at that price its not something you would be upset to leave behind!

xx
  • Fortunately when he wriggles, he wriggles his blankets with him. Have just pulled out the grow bag today now that he can grow!! Tried it out today, it's a little girlie as our friends got it for us not knowing the sex but it's borderline and I love it nevertheless. It has ladybugs on it image So I say to him he is snug as a ladybug in a rug! Awww.. I will have to get a pic to post - tried today but camera ran out of battery!

I had seen a reasonably priced small cot in John Lewis for ??70. Bugga though.. just realised that I don't think this includes the mattress! Will look at Ikea too. It needs to be small to fit in our room (after finding mould in the cupboard in the other room I am too freaked out to put him in there as I thought we had sorted out the damp problem but obviously not!)

I might wait til the new year and see what happens with us, and his growth. I expect he will have a massive growth spurt now that we are sorting out the feeding issues. May be lucky to pick something up in a sale too.

xx
  • Yes jasmine wriggles so much in her sleep that she kicks her blanket off all the time and moves herself up the moses basket. I really want to put her in a sleep grow bag but not sure how old they should be ? Can anyone advise ? She is 3 weeks now. Thks S X
  • Eeek I didn't realise babies had to be a certain age for a growbag? Finn has been in one since we got home from the hospital! I thought that provided the head hole wasn't too big and that they couldn't pull thier head and arms back inside it was ok? Ours are from mothercare and the arm holes have press studs to make them nice and tight against his arms - oh and he has a massive head so no worries on pulling that inside the bag! lol! Finn loves his - much more than being swaddled and best of all he seems to understand that his blanket and taggie = daytime naps and growbag = nighttime. Sandy I think provided Jasmine isn't so small that she could pull her head in the hole she will be fine with one (in my opinion) and for us it gives us a bit more peace of mind that Finn won't end up under the blankets with all his wriggling xx
  • Sorry double post!! image

[Modified by: Bubble Toes on December 19, 2009 04:08 PM]

• Yep. Sophie is a wriggler too and we have also often found her legs to be sticking out the end of the moses basket.

I do have two grobags, but Sophie is a really hot baby and I have found the twice I have put her in the grobag she has been sick and I think they made her too hot. When she just has her sheet and blanket on she will only have them on up to her chest as she likes her hands sticking out (hospital told me not to swaddle her), and as the grobag went up to her neck I think thats why she got too hot.

We also have the added problem that Sophie nearly fills the moses basket, as she is a really long baby. Stands to reason really with a 6ft2 mother and a 6ft daddy!! We have a cot in Sophie's room, but no space to put it in our room. I am reluctant to let Sophie sleep in her own room alone when she is so young so I am tempted to sleep in the spare bed when she has to go in the cot. (O/h not impressed as you can imagine). But am I then gonna start something with Sophie expecting me to be there and not being able to move back in our room?

What does anyone else think??

Nici and Sophie 4 weeks and 4 days old x
  • How long is Sophie now? Brody was 52.5 cm 1 week ago, and was born at 50cm. His legs are really long though, just like his dad.

I had a dream last night that I could hear his cries but couldn't find him. Then I remembered I had put him down in his basket, but he wasnt there. Then I realised he was on the floor and had fallen out!! :x

Im obviously worried about him doing this! Definately time to move him out in the new year then. Or at least have the cot set up as an option.

xx
  • Lily has been in a grobag since day one, but they are the smaller size and she is a big girl anyway- Born 9lb 10oz, and 11lb 6oz last week at her 6 week check. I think they are fine so long as there is no risk of baby wriggling down and it covering their face- no chance of that with the ones we have.

I think IKEA furniture is great, and will probably get a cot in a few weeks. We haven't got a moses basket, we have a crib which is bigger than a moses basket so will last longer thankfully.

Scary dream Sim!
    Alison & Lily 7 weeks
  • Sorry for delay in replying Sim, only just had chance to measure Sophie again yesterday!!

She was 51cm when she was born, and is now 58.5cm!!! So has grown 7.5cm in her 6 weeks!! Think she is definitely gonna be tall like her mummy and daddy!!

We have started to put Sophie in her sleeping bag again now with the weather being so cold, she is getting on much better this time. Good job, as when I went to change her nappy the other morning, she had wriggled out of her pyjama bottoms and they were in the bottom of the sleeping bag!! First time she's had a separate top and bottoms on, think we'll stick to the all in one babygros from now on.

I was sorting all of her clothes out the other day, to make room for new Christmas clothes, and have filled a huge bag of "too small" clothes already! :lol:

Nici xxx
  • She's never really been much of a kinker - even when I was pregnant it was always her arms I could feel most, but she definately will grow out of her moses basket very soon, she is filling it already - she must be nearly 11lbs by now at 4 1/2 weeks so it wont be long!
    Im dreading having her in her cot at night as it means she will be her own room so I hope she doesnt outgrow her basket too soon