Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Cant crack the weaning!

I love the recipes that Stinton put up - I will definately try them when we get to that stage!

I'm still very much weaning beginner I think! and I think it will take both of us time to get used to it

Amber is still on milk really, there only a couple of days when Ive managed to give her baby rice or rusks just before bed - once she ate the whole bowl and thats all she's had so far lol!

I dont think Im trying very hard though - I cant seem to find a slot to fit it into yet

She has her bath just after 6 - as soon as dh gets home from work after having a bottle about 5pm. As soon as her bath is finished she seems to get really tired and starts demaning another bottle to go to bed with.

We've tried to fit in her rusks/rice at this time and we've a bit of success depending on how ready for bed she is - if she happens to be a little less tired she seems to have a little bit of patience and will sit in her highchair for a few minutes. Ive tried starting her on the bottle before giving her the rusks/rice but she just starts drifting off to sleep so I have to take her upstairs.

Maybe I should try giving her the rusks/rice with or instead of the 5 o'clock bottle?

She still seems to be at the stage where she wants a bottle to help her drift off to sleep - maybe that's a bad habit I've slipped into letting her do that???

I need to crack this - or Im probably just going to let it slip - she's already just been on the bottles for the last few nights because Ive just slipped back into it! :roll:

thanks
xx

Replies

• Hey Amanda

Why dont you try giving Amber food at dinner time? That way shes not tired and irriable from the day and you can take your time wth it. Try giving her it half way through a bottle and using it as play time, at the end of the day she's getting what she needs from milk so dont worry but when she gets used to eating properly you can then maybe give her things nearer bedtime?

Dylan now waves his arms like a dancing bear when we get his highchair out as he knows it means food, but its taken a while to get there sont worry about it treat it as fun and Amber will get there when she is ready image

good luck xxx
  • I started by giving Olivia breakfast but I found that she was too tired and wasnt alert enough so I moved it to a lunch time meal and she took to it like a duck to water and then within a few weeks I introduced an evening meal around 4pm and now she eats everything and loves her juice, we are going to introduce breakfast again tomorrow. I think moving Amber's feed back to lunch or afternoon you may find that she is a lot more alert and awake enough that she will start to enjoy it more.
  • also, she might just not be ready for it. We tried Jen on banana today and she just wasnt interested, even though i think she has all the signs for weaning. Perhaps try again in a couple of weeks if the earlier time doesnt make a difference.

Em + Jen 21 wks
  • I would try with the 5pm bottle, just because during the day you might be out and about at lunchtime? It's much easier to tackle at home. We started with 5pm, moved on to breakfast too, then added lunchtime. X
  • We gave Amber baby rice for early tea today and whopee she absolutely lapped it up, i had to make another bowl she wanted more haha!

I think i started wanting to give her the food before bed hoping it would help her sleep through the night but now I'm just wanting to go for the weaning.

She had loads of fun making a mess with her food and pulling the spoon into her mouth so cute.

Thanks for the advice girls - it really helped - cant wait to try new flavours with her soon

• I give Cailtin her solids (veg or fruit with baby rice) around lunchtime in between her bottles, which seems to be working for us at the moment.
  • Glad to hear she is taking to it better now!!