Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09

total sleep time

hiya

just wondering how variation there is in total hours of sleep of nov babies. LO has 12 hours at night, one long lunch nap (about 2 and a bit hours) and two short naps of about 40 minutes- totalling about 15 and half hours.

when she was about 3 months old she would wait until about 4 before having a nap but now I find she wants to sleep again at 3.30 - so after about 90 minutes of being awake. Do you think this is just because she is doing more/using more energy kicking around? ANyone else find their LO getting more tired in the day rather than less tired as they get bigger??

Replies

• Olivia turned 5 months last Monday and I find her so tired this week, she sleeps 12.5 hours at night and then she will have a 1 hour sleep in the morning and then another 40 minutes just befor lunch, 40 minutes after lunch, 40 minutes in the afternoon and then 30 minutes in the evening. Which takes her total time to almost 16 hours, she is a lot more active and she is attempting to crawl now so I have found since she has started getting really active she gets very tired.
  • Tyler is abit erratic. he wakes at 6, then naps at 7 for 45 mins. then again at 10.30-11 for the same time, 1 he will have an hour, then 3.30-4 for about an hour. then goes from 7 until 5.30-6 with a few feeds.

i just wish he would go to 7 as most of the time he's only up 30 mins before he's falling asleep, yet at 5.30 he's wide awake.

sarah
  • This is a tough one at the moment, Jak's still sleeping at night but he's much more awake in the day and there doesn't seem to be any pattern. About 2 weeks ago he was having about 3 hour-long naps in the day, between his first and second, second and third, third and fourth feed. Now he can be tired any time and need a nap, but they're usually shorter with one long nap. I'm trying to work out when the long nap is on average, as sometimes it's lunch time and other times it's between his first and second feed. He started being grumpy and sleepy at 8:30am today, which I didn't expect, as he'd woken at 7:15am like normal and I thought he'd go for a nap at about 9am but no! I have no idea!!!

I think, on average, he gets about 15-15 and a half hours a day which sounds about right to me, as he started on about 16-17 hours a day when he was littler. I think it varies enormously, some babies need more, some less, but aren't they starting to cut back on daytime naps at this age? Not by a lot, obviously, but Jak used to sleep for a solid 1.5 hours every nap time and he certainly doesn't anymore!!!

Em x x x
  • Mason wakes bewtween 6/7am 2 hours after waking will go down for 40mins nap (today was only awake hour) then more or less 2 hours after waking he is tired and has another 40mins and so on so nap around 9ish, then 12ish, then it changes and can have another around 2/3 and then another at 6ish all 40mins!
    then usually asleep by 8ish waking in night properly once as has df at night.

so roughly 10/11 hours at night and 2hours 40naps

so not much compared to alot of your lo's!!!!!!!!!

• It's really important and difficult to keep track of how many hours your baby is sleeping every day, especially if he/she wakes up several times throughout the night.
    To solve this problem we have developed an app for the Windows Phone called Sleep Stats (www.sleepstats.com)

You simply press a button every time the baby sleeps and another with he/she wakes up, and the app does the rest. You can even save the data as a spreadsheet for your own records and your number crunching pleasure.

Check it out!