Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09

daytime napping- how long now?

Heya

Just wondering if anyone has yet dropped the late afternoon nap? This has come up before on the board - books suggest that by this age they may be ready to drop it but we havent just yet because LO enjoys the dinner/bath/milk/bed routine so much more if she has had a litttle rest.

I find that she only needs about 20minutes between 4-5 to be revived for bed. Problem is that there is only a small window of opportunity because I wouldnt want her to sleep past 5. But she usaully nods off if we are out in the buggy or in her cot if we are at home.

naps look like this:

30-40 mins between 9-10
2 hours and 15 minutes between 11.45 and 2
20 minutes between 4 and 5.

I want to move the lunch time nap later by half an hour when I think she is ready to cut out the 20 minutes.

Does anyone have anything similar or drastically different?

Replies

• Hi

Before we had the rolling and swaddling issue we have now, Tyler had a nap first thing in the morning normally 1.5-2 hours, then another long one for lunch time and a catnap for about 30 mins late afternoon. Times very much depend on what time he wakes, as he can only stay awake for 2 hours at a time.

sarah
  • toby has 3 x 1/2 hour naps so i hope he doesnt drop one yet! He does sleep through though 7pm - 7am so i am lucky! x
  • Sacrlett used to have 2 naps when she got up around 8.30 but now shes waking around 6.30am its had to change to 3 naps as she cant cope with being awake longer than 2hrs and starts crying/shouting. She's a terrible night time sleeper though so probably why so overtired and needing more in the day.

Since rolling and now trying to crawl she seems to be able to nap much longer, used to be 2 x 45mins but now does a 1 1/2 - 2 hr once a day plus 1 hr and a 45min, but cant predict when.

Inka xxx