Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09

weaning and formula

Hi Ladies

We are in the early stages of weaning, was just wondering do you still try and give the same number of bottles in a 24 hour period or cut down ? Tyler has had porridge for breakfast and lunch today but so far has only taken two full bottles (7oz) and am struggling to get anymore into him, he will take probably another bottle before bedtime but this means he will be up at night.

Just wondered how everyone else manages.

Thanks

Sarah

Replies

• I give Amber a bottle after her breakfast she doesnt always drink all of it but she does want it. Im not sure if its the right thing to do but it seems to work for us. So our day goes like this

Breakfast 8am - rice pud/porridge/apples and bananas and a bottle of formula

11am - formula

2pm - formula

4:30pm - apples and bananas/rice pud/porridge and water

7pm - formula

2am - formula

I have been squeezing in an extra bottle before lunchtime and after lunchtime instead of just giving her a bottle at 12pm as she was having too many bottles overnight (waking at 12 and 4am) and it seems to have worked as she now only wakes up at 2am then 6am for the day but shes never hungry till 8am!

We're still in the early stages of weaning so shes still on one of 3 foods she likes. We did try sweet potato but she spat out 3 spoonfuls and then closed her mouth in protest! And she wont eat baby rice now that she has had tastier foods lol!

Xxx

[Modified by: Amber-Lou's-Mum on April 17, 2010 08:23 PM]

• Olivia is almost 6 months so she is now on 3 7oz bottles a day.

Morning-porridge and bottle
    lunch-fruit and juice
    dinner- vegetables and bottle
    night-bottle

I know that around 6 months that they do normally drop to about 3 bottles a day so with the weaning that does sound about right for Tyler, sometimes if I think that Olivia is a bit more hungry I will give her a bit more solid food at dinner.
  • Is Amber feeding too much then? Shes getting 2 small meals a day and 5 bottles! Shes having 7oz of formula in each bottle!

Xx
  • Hi

Tyler has been the same although he very rarely drinks the whole bottle in one sitting for the past two nights he has a breakfast and lunch with a bottle or some squash at lunchtime and then no other solids as we found he didn't settle as well, he has a feed at 5, then i try and cluster feed so he has another at 6 or just the remnants of the last bottle, then a fresh bottle at 7pm for bed. He then goes until 11-12, and then down until 5 or 6 which is good for him. But I have changed his formula which seems to have helped.

maybe the amount he's having is ok then, will just let him lead and offer milk as I do normally and see if he takes it.

sarah
  • right - when we started weaning i fed toby a bottle right before so i knew he had the most important bit before solids. Now he is 5.5 months and we now have a huge variety of veg, chicken and beef in his diet and this is how our day goes (though it might chnage tomorrow!!!)

6am - 5oz
    8am - porridge, yoghurt and sippy cup of water (doesnt drink more than 2 drops but gets him to put the cup to his mouth)

11am - 5oz
    12pm - lunch - 3 x cubes veg 1/2 jar of something (i know i am a bad mum for buying jars but we are starting blw soon) yoghurt and sippy cup

4pm - 5oz bottle (though this could be 3 oz also)
    5pm - 4 cubes of veg including 2 of potato - 1/2 jar - ricepudding with fruit puree or yoghurt etc
    6.30pm - 3 oz milk
    bath and bedtime routine
    7pm - 6oz goodnight milk

He has just moved his 4am feed to 6.30ish but its abit of a pain becasue he doesnt settle after which is strange for toby - will have to see how things pan out - good luck x
  • Dont worry about Amber, if she is happy drinking then thats the main thing, thats only a guideline I read so I wouldnt worry too much about it, always go with yourself and Amber xxxx
  • lillykitt - tyler sounds sooo like mason and always has not the easiest of babies and very windy etc... have you moved off the comfort milk??? he was on it wasnt he?!!!

this last week i have been swapping him over to aptimal stage 1 by changing one bottle then 2 etc but he def seems to prefer the comfort and im convincedf he isnt as settled but my mum said well his tummy is going to have to deal with foods soon so prob better just to get him used to normal milk.... its true i suppose!
    i have kept his 7.30pm and middle night feed as the comfort at the mo as worried about the wind building up as seems much windier on new milk!

im not much help on weaning etc as for last couple of weeks been trying to get mason on some rice, purees, yog etc but he is having none of it although he soesnt seem that fussed overbottles either!

he seems to want bottle and drink 3/4oz then doenst want anymore but as im thinking god need to get it in him or going to have bad night i keep trying and usually hour later he sits in swing (not held) and take the rest but then knock on effect on next bot as does the same!

anyway i would say tyler seems to be doing good and i would just plod along and as he is taking food and liking it he will gradually take more at a sitting and i suppose naturally the milk with go down - and heres hoping sleep through!!!!!!

good luck xxxx