Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 09

Scariest couple of days of my life

Jennifer has just come out of hospital with a possible bacterial infection.

She was very snuffly for a couple of days then had a slightly raised temperature on Sunday eve, but not enough to warrent a+e, Then on monday she had really dark green poo, and very runny. When we called nhs direct they said its probably nothing, but to take her to a+e anyway, She had two more really disgusting bubbly almost black nappies and they decided to keep her in investigate as shes so young. She had a canula put in which was really really horrible for her and me, then suddenly went really pale and floppy and her eyes rolled back in her head, i almost screamed the house down, but the nurse seemed to think she was ok, and hooked her up to IV fluids and anti biotics. The sight of her little arm with the canula in made me want to just burst into tears. She also had to have a lumber puncture and a snot swab (suction tube up the nose) all really horrible proceedures poor little mite.

Anyway, shes home now, back in tomorrow for a top up of anti biotics. Nappys are still quite gross, but getting better. Please just take good care of your little ones, dont hesitate to take them into a+e - i hate to think of what might have happened if we'd waited. Get a digital under arm thermometer, not an ear one.

Em x

Replies

• Oh Em that sounds very scary, im glad Jen is now home and improving.

much love

Em and Dylan x x x
  • That sounds horrible Em and must of been so horid to watch. Glad she is back home and getting better.

Katie & Isabelle x
  • Em Im so sorry to hear this. Poor little Jennifer. But so glad that she is back home safe and well with you again. That must have been frightful for you.

Glad the nappies are getting better, the anti-biotics must be helping. One thing you might want to check with the doc tomorrow is if there is anything to help her after taking the anti-biotics. Only reason I mention it is because when I was on anti-biotics after having an infection from my stitches and b/c Im bf, my mw had told me that they can strip your baby's stomach as they can be quite harsh on them. So I was taking probiotics after I'd finished them so that they would pass through my breast milk.

Did they say what type of bacterial infection she had and what may have caused it?

So glad she is getting better. Big hugs to you both.

xx
  • Poor Jen and poor you! I'm glad shes on the up now - take care both of you xx
  • Goodness, bless her! I'm glad she's responding to antibiotics, it sounds so scary. Temperature is one thing that really scares me, I'm so petrified I wouldn't notice. Is it really obvious? I feel so clueless about some things, it's worrying!

Em + Jak
  • temp wasnt obvious, but kept checking as she was so snuffly. was told by the nurse to get a digital under arm thermometer as they are the best and ear ones are too big when they are this young. she really didnt seem that ill, it was just the nappies that worried us. This is supposed to be very rare so dont worry too much!

Thanks for your kind words ladies!

Em x
  • oh my goodness - what an awful thing to hppen - you must have been beside yourself. I really hope that things start improving and that you never hsve to go snything like that again x x
  • Oh, that's horrible. Good on you for being so alert and getting Jennifer to a+e so quick.

Glad she is getting better now x

Nici xxx
  • Glad to hear all is ok, though it sounds like you been through a pretty distressing time. Am googling underarm thermometers now. I hadn't really given it much thought, but after reading your post am thinking thats pretty stupid of me. Think i might be making a trip to Boots for one.
  • Oh my goodness what a scary time this is - been away for 3 days and just catching up ... just read about poor MC and Maaya and now you and Jen have been through the mill as well.

So pleased to hear she's on the mend now.

We have a stupid forehead thermometer ... time to invest in a proper one I think

xx