Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Nov 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

My belated BA and BS (also in DIN)

Hi Girls, sorry its taken so long for me to post...life's been a bit of whirlwind!! My story starts on my due date (25th Nov)....

My husband, James, was finishing work at 15:15, and rang me whilst he was walking to the car. He asked me if the were any signs...and as the millionth person to ask that question that day, he bore the full brunt of my frustration! Anyway when he got home I realised I'd locked the front door and left the key in, so I got up to let him in and at the front door I felt a little trickle. Thought 'What was that?' and then got another one! So dashed into the kitchen where my waters started to pool around my feet on the floor!

At this point I wasn't having any contractions so wasn't really sure what to do, so rang the midwife led unit where I was planning to have my baby. They advised to come in to check it was my waters that had gone, although there was no way I had been mistaken!

Got to the midwife led unit, where they confirmed indeed my waters had gone (I don't usually walk around with a big wet patch on my bum where my pad had leaked!!!), and went through the next steps. The midwife explained that I was to go home to wait for my contractions to start and when I'd been having them 2 in every 10mins for around 2hrs and they were making me, as she put it, 'grab onto the furniture', then I was to call them. She also explained that if baby wasn't born within 24hrs of my waters breaking then she would have to stay in hospital for 24hrs, rather than us getting straight home. And finally if my labour hadn't started at all by 5pm on 26th I was to report to the hospital for induction. I was absolutely gutted, still no sign of contractions and I really didn't want to be in the hospital...I wanted my lovely, newly built midwofe led unit (MLU) with ensuite rooms and no medical intervention!

At home James tried to take my mind off things, we watched some TV and tried to chill out. I started getting twinges at about 8pm. By 9pm they were getting quite painful and seemed regular, so I started timing them....they were coming every 4ish mins and lasting around 50secs. At about 11pm I got James to put on my Tens and rang the MLU, who said to come in. We got our stuff together and picked up my Mum and off we went! On the way there Ellie Goulding 'Your Song' was playing, and this will always be a song that will remind of us of when our baby was born!

We got to the MLU at about 12:30am and she tried to send me home!!!After telling me to come in and driving the 30mins to the MLU, she was trying to send me home!!! Her reason.....I was coping too well with the contractions for it to be real labour....all because I said I didn't want anything stronger at that moment in time! I wanted to save the G&A for when the pain got much worse! I put my foot down and said I would rather stay. She said she wouldn't examine me as she wouldn't be delivering me and she wanted me to have continuation of care!

Anyway from that point, they finally examined me about 2am and I was 5cm dilated, but my cervix was still quite posterior, so she said I couldn't get in the pool as it it was too soon! The finer details are a bit of a blur, so I'll skip through the next few hours quite quickly.....

The oontractions were starting to come one on top of the other so they asked me if I wanted to try G&A, I did try it, but it made me really sick, so gave up with it. The original midwife who had tried to send me home had took over my care as the other midwife was busy, but she actually turned out to be really nice. At this point I just want to say how amazing James and my Mum were at getting me through, helping me count breaths in and out and making sure I had everything I needed! I could not have wished for better birthing partners! Anyway.....the midwife tried to give me co-codomol, but I was still throwing up, so couldn't keep it down! So after and hour I tried the g&a again, which worked this time! Doesn't stop the pain, just makes you feel so drunk you dont focus on it as much!

At about 5.30am I was getting the urge to push, so they examined me again and I was 9cm. I was gutted because at this point they told me I couldn't have the pool because it takes 45mins to fill! I had got my self comfy on the floor by this point, on a gym mat I hasten to add (they don't have beds in the MLU as they like to encourage movement whilst in labour, so they just have chez lounge type things) I started to push soon after this.

Finally at 6:50am on Friday 26th November Isobel Rose was born weighing in at a healthy 7lbs 6oz! I cannot believe how beautiful she! Daddy cut the cord, although he told me afterwards he struggled to see it through the tears! And we were home 4hrs later! So glad everything went (almost) how I wanted it!

Since she's been home we've had to give up on breastfeeding, she never latched on, so we spent the first 4days hand expressing onto a spoon, and despite the help of numerous midwives and breastfeeding support counsellors we still couldn't get her to latch. I started giving her EBM in a bottle, but then got mastitis and my milk supply has now dwindled to next to nothing, so she's on formula! Pretty tough to take, but I'm not going to beat my self up about it!

Just realised how epic this post has been, so congratulations if you got this far!!

Emma and Isobel (10days)

Replies

• Congratulations on the birth of your daughter and thank you for sharing your lovely birth story.
    Much Love
    Jo xxx