Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Nov 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Postnatal appointments...

... when/where should I find out about these? The mw visited the day I came out of hospital and on day 10, then discharged me. Now I feel a bit in health care no-man's-land. We registered him at the doctors on Wednesday, so he should be in 'the system'.

When does the hv contact me? When should baby be being weighed etc? Do I make my 6 week check up or does my GP surgery contact me? Should I be taking him to a baby clinic or anything?!

Replies

• The hospital passed my details to the HV who came last Monday when Iz was 2 weeks old, she gave me details of the clinics I have to go to when she came although she is coming to me again on Monday. My GP has already written to me with an appointent for the 6 week check although hospital and HV seemed surprised this had happened already, if you don't hear over the next week maybe ring your surgery and ask xx
  • I think its different in all areas. My hv contacted me when Tegan was a week old, but the hospital/midwife (forget which lol) said to make a 6 week appt at the gp myself. We registered her at the surgery after we'd registered her birth and then I called a week or so afterwards to make my appt. When she was about 3 days old my docs surgery called though to set up a phone appt with my gp - apparently they like to do this just to make sure everything is ok. HV gave me details about the clinics I can go to but tbh I probably won't go much - now I know she's gaining weight ok I'll probably get her weighed every month or two...hv will be coming out a couple more times over the next month so I can get her to weigh Tegan then to save me going and sitting waiting around at the clinic which I hate!

Definately ring your gp if you haven't heard anythign.. they should be able to give you details of the hv's contact info too
  • is weighing all that the baby clinic is for?
  • At the one I went to for my son it was a chance to talk to the hv (although it wasn't private) and get lo's weighed. My old hv was crap though so I used to get him weighed and then leave unless she tried to talk at me in which case I'd just agree with her then go home and ignore everything she'd said. Now they have a midwife there I think as wella s the hv, so I guess its a chance to talk to either if you need any help.

Some hvs can also write minor prescriptions for things like eczema cream so it can save a trip to the doctors.