Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I have a stinking cold!

Erghhh, all I want to do is lie in bed and sleep.... and not just because I'm feeding baby every 1 and a half to two hours! My nose is all blocked and I have a sore throat.

Does my breast milk protect baby from my lurgy? He started getting really snuffly yesterday, I'm worried I'm making him poorly with my horrible germs!

Replies

• Options
    Poor you, hope you feel better soon.
    Yes your breastmilk should contain anti-bodies to bugs that you have been exposed to, so Lo should be protected.
    Go back to bed and get DH to bring you hot chocolate and biscuits till you feel better
    xx
  • Options
    Me too, have had it since weather got bad. Can't get better as all my energy goes to Imogen I think.

Imogen is snuffly but not as bad as me, she sneezes every now and then but nowhere near as bad as me. They are protected somewhat by our milk but at the end of the day they will still have a little bit of a cold, plus newborns are snuffly anyway as their noses start to work properly. bless them.

Lots of hot ribena and some vicks me thinks. Although Imogen didnt care for vicks on me so I abandoned it image
    xxx
  • Options
    Oh no poor you. I've had the same yucky lurgy and I can highly recommend Olbas oil bubble bath for helping clear your nose.. picked some up for my friend who has an even worse lurgy and thought I'd give it a go and its awesome for clearing the bunged up nose! Plus its a great excuse to escape for a nice hot bath for a while image

Breast milk will help - but I don't think it'll entirely prevent lo's getting the snuffles. Tegan has been snuffly for a week or so - think theres been too many snotty kisses from big brother! She seems fine though, just snuffly - I bought some tixylix saline drops from asda (they are in individual little tubs rather than one big tub that gets wasted cause it can only be open 28 days or whatever) and we've been popping a couple of drops in either nostril before we take her up to bed.. she was not impressed by it but it does help the snuffles overnight

Hope you feel better soon