Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Nov 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Hello November Mummies!

Hello all November Mummies. I've not been on BE for a while, so congrats to all those I've missed BAs for

Sophie is now 16 days old. I'm BF and she's doing really well with her weight gain. She weighed 6lb 14 oz at birth and was up to 7lb 8 oz on Friday (13 days old). She's a very good baby, we just struggle to get her off to sleep between 11pm and 1am. After that she sleeps in blocks of 3-4 hours. Last night was a toughy as she wouldn't settle unless she was lying on my chest or hubbys. She just loves skin to skin. Think it was wind. I didn't realise grapes can make them windy. The health visitor has recommended tummy massage or infacol, but hoping it's better now.

Has anyone started expressing? Not tries it yet, bit nervous! Xx

Replies

• I am expressing, imogen is 4 weeks today and she has a bottle from daddy every evening. I get about 3-4 oz a day.

We also use infacol with every other feed as it keeps her wind under control, she doesnt have much which is cool.

Imogen sleeps in blocks of 2 hrs still with a feed every time she wakes, its tirnig but worth it as shes putting on so much weight, she was 6lbs 6 and now is 7lbs 15, she'll be even more now!

Imogen doesnt like skin to skin as she wants milk from me but she does it with daddy and will do it with me if we're wearing clothes, its amazing and such a special time to bond image
    xxx
  • Hi guys, I haven't been on much either - start to write a reply and then Jack wakes up and needs attention.

I am loving being a Mummy, it's just so fab, tiring but fab. Jack had a few problems with feeding once my milk came in and I had to express and cup/bottle feed cos he wouldn't latch on. We've got into a routine now where I breast feed during the day and express and bottle feed at night which means hubby and I can share the feeds a bit and get some extra sleep! It works really well for us and Jack is still latching on really well during the day and doesn't have any problems with nipple confusion. We've got a Medela Swing electric breast pump which has been an absolute life saver. It is amazing, I can't recommend it enough! Jack lost 10oz from his initial birth weight of 7lb 3oz by day 5 but was weighed again today at day 13 and has regained 9oz so is back to 7lb 2oz, so we're really pleased. Jack is the same as Imogen - doesn't like lying on my chest cos he just wants to feed, but can happily spend most of an evening on Daddy's and will do it with me if I am wearing a high necked top so he can't smell my skin.

Isn't it all just amazing? xxx
  • I've taken your advice jo and bought a medela swing today. Really didn't fancy the idea of the manual pump I'd bought. Will leave it a few more days to try, don't want to introduce if too early! Fingers crossed!! Xx
  • Hey, I have to express, Iz has been a complete pain when it comes to feeding, she is such a sleepy baby, she latches has a couple of mouthfuls and then falls asleep, strip her down, tickle her, aggrivate, blow on her she just will not wake. We ended up re=-admitted because she fell off the chart with her weight. I have to top up feed every three hours with formula or EBM. I manually express and get 5 - 6 oz a day takes about 40 minutes. She was an angel last night, drank until it was running down her face and she fell asleep, I really hope this means she is turning a corner. She had so much from me last night I didn't top up feed. We have another appointment on Thursday and if her weight is back up we will be discharged. We went from 7.14 to 6.13, 6.14 last weigh in was 7.1. Going the right way. We nearly had to admit her to the childrens hospital she was so dehydrated. It is so frustrating, I asked so many times if she was getting enough and was always told their tummy is tiny if she wasn't getting enough she would make a fuss. Felt so bad! Fingers crossed it is up hill from here xx Iz loves skin to skin too, although she did try to latch on to hubby the other night :lol: xx
  • Not been on for a bit but just wanted to reply

Puddleduck, have you tried out your new purchase yet? Hope you find it as good as I have. It really did make the difference between Jack having the breast milk I desperately wanted him to have and him going onto formula out of sheer desperation!

Socks, I know how you feel. I think your own instincts are so often right about these things. I was really worried Jack wasn't getting enough cos he wouldn't latch on properly but the help and advice I was given was that he wouldn't get dehydrated or lose too much weight cos he had plenty of stores leftover from when he was inside me. Then they just gave me loads of advice on positioning and stuff and not really anything about how the hell to get milk in him if none of that worked. He ended up losing 9% of his body weight in 5 days and became very dehydrated with urate crystals in his urine. It is so scary! Anyway glad our babies are on the right track now xxx
  • Yes it's amazing, so glad I bought it. I expressed 2 oz yesterday but she didn't take to the bottle. Tried again today and she drank most of it. Thanks for the recommendation.

How much do I express in one go? And when do you do it?

Socks I hope things have improved. It must have been such a worry. Xx
  • Puddleduck - was saying to LSG on another thread that I read to expresss first thing in the morning because your milk is fattiest & best quality at this time. Think I read this in Baby Whisperer or my pregnancy bible so both reliable sources but check it out with MW if you want to be certain. It had some scientific basis, likely to do with body resting/sleeping & therefore able to produce best overnight. It then advised to use this feed at night to get babes to settle off (if you're struggling at this time to get babes to settle)

I've not expressed or used bottle this time around but I had a medela mini with Juliet & expressed so much as I had a horrible time trying to BF her & gave up at 7 weeks which I regret so much now but I was a wreck. The electric pump was great. This time, am having a much better experience thankfully. Ive still got my pump though in case I need it. Way less fuss than the avent manual one I'd originally bought. Anyways, so I'm not sure if that advice works or is any good as I've not personally used it but I thought I'd pass on, all the same.