Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2010

Hello! and when did you first go out of the house?

Hello
Harry is nearly 1 week old - feels so odd that this time last week I was starting my contractions!

I still haven't been out of the house with him yet - pretty freaked by the thought of having to B/F in public. Not that I'm shy - but I haven't worked out how to do it discreetly. Harry takes some wrestling to attach properly ( I have found best thing is to get him properly peed off and he then latches pretty much immediatly)

I want to try expressing milk and bottle feed him occasionally - but MW doesn't approve therefore not sure whn is the best time to try this?

CTB & Harry (6 days)

Replies

• hi hun. i am also bf-ing and thankfully imgoen has really taken to it. i have started expressing and am going to introduce bottles this weekend (week 3). no nipple confusion then as attachment is good and established.
    i feed in public, i have button down tops and cover up with a muslin. noone notices.

xxxx imogen 18 days
  • Tegan is 2 weeks old now and we've been out loads....probably because I was going stir crazy not going out and doing much when pregnant so I've been desperate to go out. She is still a bugger with feeding at times when the mood takes her - she either latches on straight away or messes around so I'm a bit wary of bf-ing in public but just make sure I'm wearing a bf-ing top when I go out and I've only been to town or to a playbarn so nowhere drastic or for long. I do make sure she's fed and changed before we go out and pretty much every time we've been out she's just slept her way through fortunately. Do you know where the baby change facilities are where you are likely to be going? In town we have several - some scabby and some ok (and for some reason the boots one always stinks), but the market has a really nice changing room with a bf-ing room that has the worlds comfiest chair so I just went in there the one time she woke up when we were out. Muslins do make good cover ups though.

As for the mw not approving...bollocks to her - you are the mummy and you have to do what you think is right. My mw was not very approving that at 2 days old we went out and bought dummies and nipple shields and she told me not to use them as it would cause confusion. It didn't and i ignored her because I couldn't hack another night of T comfort sucking on me constantly.. it hurt and I can't take care of my kids if I'm half dead from lack of sleep and she improved massively when given a dummy. She was 8 days old when we ended up giving her a bottle one night because she just was not settling and sleeping and was constantly feeding - she guzzled 2oz and went to sleep! Since then she's had a mix of bf, and formula top ups and ebm and the dummy off and on and she can be as much a bugger at taking the bottle as the boob if the mood takes her - but there is definately no confusion going on.. and the mw is all of a sudden supportive of the bottles as she hadn't put any weight on.. fingers crossed she's gained again when they come tomorrow as I think I've managed to get my milk supply up (I hate expressing!! Bored of it already lol). My son was combi-fed from 2 1/2 weeks and again he never had any confusion on feeding.

Tbh I've heard more people say how they've struggled when trying to introduce bottles when lo is a few months old than problems from people who've given bottles earlier - and my doctor actually agreed and said she thinks its better to introduce bottles earlier rather than later.

Personally I'd say if you want to go out and don't feel confident about bf-ing in public then its time to try him with a bottle at home to see how he does that way you know if you can take ebm out iwth you and you don't feel under pressure
  • We went out today at 1 day old, I have a baba sling, it covers everything, although my SIL has warned me that she has had nosy people come up and say "aw lets see your baby" and pull at it getting more than they bargained for. I think you will be more concious of whether people have noticed to be honest, it occured to me the other day how rarely you see it but so many people do it it must happen all around. Baby covers most up anyway, pop a muslin over your shoulder or do it inside your maternity coat xx
  • gc i had my bab in march and didnt leave the house for 2 weeks. i ddnt want to leave the house, but also i didnt feel ready to bf n public without showing the world my boobs. it was still very difficult at that point!!! i found bfing tops fab, as they cover the top of your breast, which a button down top wouldnt. i always feel a bit over exposed on a top i pull down for boob access. dont rush out if you are not ready. the weather is awful. one day we decided to go out, when she was nearkly 2 weeks old, and it snowed so we stayed in another few days!