Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Hello!

Now this is a place I never thought I would reach!! Hello ladies and babies! So does anyone have any tips for settling baby at night, I know we are only night two but she just wouldn't settle at all last night, my husband walked her round the house for 3 hours so I could sleep xx

Replies

• I am having the same issue at day 22! Are u swaddling? Is bubs in moses basket?

Imogen is in her pram to sleep now as she loves it!

xxx
  • Hey there my lovely ladies!!

Rosie I know you're b'feeding but Socks what are you feeding lo??
    Luke did not take to aptimil at all, he was terrible & i changed pretty quickly after 2 days to cow & gate comfort & apart from when he had breast milk (long story I combination fed until yesterday, seems it doesnt agree with him ??) he is fantastic! BUT he still has his fussy time most nights where we're still winding him from the last bottle when he's due his next feed, which is fine most most babies have a fussy time of day due to wind etc. & usually at night! they will grow out of it though. Also have Luke on Infacol which helps get his wind up. Our 3rd baby Abbi also was the same as him straight off did not take to ordinary milk so after a week or so changed to comfort & hey presto, different baby.

Swaddling & a doddy helps calm them but not everyone wants to use soothers do they.

K. x

• gc not sure if you remember me but just wanted to say a big congrats to you socks - lovely name for your little lady x
  • Thanks DM yes I do remember you hope you are well x Rosemary I am swaddlig and she is in a basket although I also tried her in pram last night that didn't work either! K I am bf-ing too, mw mentioned infacol to me today so will get some tomorrow she is a very indy baby xRosemary does Imogen favour 1 boob over the other? Izzy always feeds well from the right but not so well from the left??
  • Wow, i would love DH to walk around with LO for me to get some sleep..

Ive resulted to co-sleeping now. Tried swaddling and a dummy either really worked.

What's infacol meant to do?

LO has gone off the right boob since the other night. X
  • Imogen loves the left!! I make sure she takes the right at some point during the day or I express it off. So frustrating!
    I use infacol when she gets in a windy way lol, it does work for us. She hates dummies though!
    Imogen is sleeping in her pram... we put a t-shirt one of us has been wearing in it first so it smells of us, she seems to like that
    xxx
  • G/C (ish I'm in hospital in labor lol joining u ASAP)
    Just wanted to say congrats on the birth of little socks image x
    Gemz x
  • Huge congrats again hunny!!

Seren always preferred the left boob 2 the right boob and I always dreaded when I had 2 put her on the right!! The supply in the right was never as good either!!

At nite when we 1st got home from hospital we would put her in the pram and just push around the house, this seemed 2 settle her.

Its all trial and error hun but u'll be amazed how quickly u get into a little routine x x x
  • Boo infacol helps them with the wind, Izzy is fine with burping but you can hear her little insides creaking and she wont feed because she is so uncomfy. I give her a pipet of infacol before feeding it sorts out the trapped wind then she can have a good feed, it has really helped her actually quite fast (tastes good too :lol: ) Great idea about the tshirt Rosemary might try that! She did stay in the basket last night but we had to have the night light on grr! Not sure what that is about. Thanks for the boob advice ladies! Gem hope your ok! See you in here soon xx
  • We used to stroke Lily's cheek and that helped settle her when she was newborn. As she got bigger she had a muslin cloth she cuddled and a light show.I used to sleep with a muslin cloth so it had my 'smell' on it and I remember not using perfume for the first few weeks as I didn't want to mask my 'smell' to Lily. Like Rosemary I then put this in the crib.

x

[Modified by: jellyfishpink on November 18, 2010 11:09 AM]

• I sleep with the hall light on and let the light drift into the bedroom socks as Imogen hates the dark bless her!

xx
  • hi everyone, been home 3 nights with Sam (6 days) he is (dare I say it and jinx it!) great at night so far, throughout the day he seems to eat and sleep little and often but night he sleeps in longer blocks. I know its early days but extremely happy with this image he is a little angel. Hope it stays like this or similar to this,cant really remember his first few days image as was drugged up to the eyeballs after long labour and emergency c section.

im finding it hard to imagine fitting in the old routines around him, like doing a weekly shop! had to order online (cant move round too much anyway) i cant wait to take him out in his pram as well,but it seems like a mission!

its funny trying to get something to eat for me and husband as well! throwing food down as fast as poss! lol

xxx
  • Hi socks, Congratulations.
    I dont have much advice to offer, but Oliver seems to settle better when swaddled and we use a night light by the bed which also helps. he tends to go 1.5 - 2 hours at night between feeds and has a fussy hour betwwen 4 and five, but this is much better than the 2nd week when he went 45 mins between feeds and wanted cuddling from 2-5am.

Does your HV have any advice?, mine is useless, when i asked about bf'ing constantly and favouring the left side she just kept saying to persevere!!
  • i just realised socks i forgot to put my advice, not that it is much!

sam hates his arms being swaddled and sleeps much better when they are out, but he needs the rest of him all snug. also as well, we warm the moses basket up with a hot water bottle (take it out before he gets in obviously!) just to take the chill off the mattress.
    xx
  • just wanted to say i LOVE seeing your post in here!!! so so so pleased you have your gorgeous little girl image

as for settling....well when we had T, our first night home (day 3) he just wouldn't settle and just wanted to be held all night. we really thought something was wrong. after that night things improved though, and hubby says next time round if the same thing happens again he'll just stay up all night to let me get my rest! (apart from feeds).

hope things improve soon hun xxxx
  • Huge congrats Socks on the birth of your daughter, have been waiting to hear your news.

Enjoy every minute and hope you feel more comfortable soon.

xxx
  • Hey socks - just wanted to say a huge congratulations. I remember you from LTTTC and was chuffed to see your LO had arrived - congrats! x
  • socks! congrat from me too! great to see you in a born it. are you left handed?
  • No right handed why?