Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2010
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

A Few Questions....

Hi Ladies,

I was hoping some of you ladies might be able to advise me on a few things please....

1) My little lady is 9 days old and she is breastfeeding well, although the last day or so she's seemed to start suckling at my nipple as well as feeding and we're wondering if we should start introducing a dummy to comfort her. Have any of you ladies introduced a dummy and if so at what age?

2) I'm not sure what they're called but we've been given a bouncy chair type thing that baby can sit in and it rocks for her. When should we start putting her in it? She's mainly just feeding and sleeping but should we be trying to keep her awake more by putting her in there?

3) Have any of you invested in Bump Bands? Our MW says she swore by them as they're really good to get your tummy mucsles back. I was just wondering where to get them from?

4) When did you start venturing out with your LO's? We've been invited to a kid's birthday party on Sunday when she'll be 2 weeks old but I'm just a bit weary that it might be too early and germy with all the little kiddie's!

Thanks in advance for you help.

Becky & Heidi 9 days old xxx

Replies

• Options
    1) u can introduce a dummy if u think ur bubs is a sucky baby. My imogen hated it and as she got older she uses me less as a dummy anyway, more of a soothe before sleep but thats normal for little ones. Not sure if theres an age restriction on them... none of my books say so

2) at that young let bubs sleep, dont force them to stay up. If they want to be awake they will be. Also make sure she is supported in her chair. Imogen didnt fit it till 3 weeks as she born small (6lbs6). She nows sit in it and loves it (6 weeks)

3) I dont have bump bands... not heard that before. U can get them in new look... 3 for ??????10 is best I have seen.

4) I went out after a week for walks. I took her to the city centre at 3 weeks. If u think she may pick up something then be careful. But it does them good to get fresh air and starting their immunities.
    xx

p.s lovely name!
    xx
  • Options
    Hey just in response to your questions:-
    1) I asked my HV the very same question and she advised me against giving Iz a dummy before 4 weeks as it can set bf-ing back. She did say if you really cant settle them use it with caution but she wouldn't recommend it.
    2) I have a swing and I put Iz in it during the day, She will often just fall asleep in it. I think they are fine if they recline but wouldn't leave her in it for really long periods of time as it is better for them to lay completely flat.
    3) I have bump bands but I think you might mean something else, mine are just the ones that hide your tum if your top is not quite long enough, I would be interested to know what it is she is recommending, I am itching to get my muscles back, roll on 6 weeks so I can start running again!
    4) I have been going out since Iz was 2 days old. If you are bf-ing they will have reasonable immunity anyway,

Hope that helps xx
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your responses ladies, I really appreciate it! I'm so nervous about doing anything to 'throw' her.

Socks - I'm actually seeing my MW tomorrow who recommended the bands so I'm going to ask her then and ill let you know xx
  • Options
    Tegan has had a dummy since day 3 - she is a very sucky baby and we decided it was best to try her on one as I can't look after 2 kids on no sleep cause she wants to suck all night (plus it hurt lol). She goes between boob, dummy & bottle no problem.. well sometimes she pisses about with boob or bottle but she's always done that so I don't think the dummy has caused any problems. We have the mam 0-2 month dummies which are smaller than others so dunno if thats helped.

We have a bouncy chair and I tried her in it at 2 & 3 weeks old and she was just a bit small and slumped over in it. I use it every day that I'm on my own with one or both kids so I can get stuff done..namely take a shower lol. She goes in it in the bathroom so she can see me. I've also used it to feed her in when she needed a nap and I needed a shower so I wouldn't have to move her when she fell asleep. I wouldn't try and keep your lo awake at that age - if she's awake then thats good but if she wants to sleep I'd let her - she'll gradually start having more awake periods. I'll probably use our chair quite a lot - she likes to be sitting looking around and watching her brother play, plus with my son I found it handy for naps especially once he started rolling and I didn't want to put him on the sofa to nap any more.

Never heard of bump bandsl ike you describe.

As for going out - go out when you feel ready. As my son goes to nursery then I'm sure he brings home plenty of grotty germs anyway so I've not worried about germs.. I'd just avoid anyone with a bad cold/cough/yuckiness. We went out when she was ummm maybe 3 days old and then after that again as and when we felt like it - Iwas just so pleased to be up and abuot and feeling ok (improvement on the way I was after having my son) that I wanted to get out and about.

Babies are very adaptable and portable - I'm sure your lo will be fine whatever you do