Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2010

Self imposed guilt trip!

Does anyone else occasionally get the worse case of guilt ever about something you've done or not done for your little one?

We were invited to a retirement do today an hour and a half away. Off we went at 9am and we didn't get back til 6. She had a crying episode during dinner, so I went outside with her. Then she started crying again during the speeches so hubby took her outside and sat in the car for a bit. I then took over and fed her in the car.

But then I was paranoid I was a bad mum for dragging her out for so long, letting her cry for 15 mins, being out in the cold and anything else I could possibly think of! Came home and cried. Was still upset this morning and paranoid she'd caught a chill by being in the cold.

Not feeling 100% myself so think that hasn't helped my state of mind. Just writing this down has helped too! And breathe! Xx

Replies

• Hi, I think guilt is just part of being a mum!

I constatnly feel guilty about one thing or another. Guilt if we go out for the day and guilt if we stay in.

My latest guilt trip is that lo sleeps 6-7 hours at nighth and that means he is in the same nappy for that time, I was worried that I should be changing it in the night!!! I quickly talked myself out of it.

All my mummy friends say that feeling guilty is part of their daily lives now so I have to get used to it haha!!!

YC and Oliver 12weeks x
  • Yep count me in for the guilt! I feel guilty that I'm not keeping the house clean enough, then if I put her in her chair and clean I feel bad that I'm not playing with her while she's awake! If I switch off while she's feeding and watch tv I think it's terrible that I'm not talking to her and don't even get me started on the staying in going out thing!

Think we're all doing a great job and should stop beating ourselves up but that's not likely to happen is it?! Keep smiling - u r doing great!