Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

itchy & scratchy :( Also, pregnancy-yoga :)

hey ladies, hope things are ticking along nicely with everyone.

For the last few days I have had the MOST intense itching in my boobs AND my legs. It's horrid! From what I've read, and midwife confirmed yesterday at 2nd part of booking in appt, the boobs thing is down to the change in size, although they've been steadily growing since about 6wks with no itching till now, and my legs aren't swelling so wtf is that about lol

I'm slathering myself in moisturiser to no avail, and bought some Manuka honey skin lotion in town today (the hand-cream version I have works on the random bit of eczema (sp?) that I have on my thumb, really stops the itching), and am hoping that will have an effect, but so far still nothing.

Very much hoping this 'phase' is short-lived!!

On a happier note, I managed to attend my 1st class of pregnancy-yoga last night as a sub for someone that couldn't make it. they're fully booked at the mo so I have to wait a bit to get a permanent slot. It was... interesting! Definitely relaxing, but my body didn't enjoy the stretching as much as I'd anticipated. Hopefully when I can go regularly, or when I've learnt enough to practice the odd bit at home, it will get easier.

I was the 'newest pregnant' grrl there at 16wks, and happened to be sat next to a lady who's due on Tuesday, she was bloody lovely so I'm a bit disappointed I prolly won't get to meet her again. Oh well, there will be lots of other lovelies to come I'm sure.

Anyone else trying the yoga route to help with relaxation, labour positions and additional breathing techniques?

xxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi, I had itching from early on after stopping my antihistamines and the doc gave me huge tub of cream (not got name to hand but if you want it I'll go and find it) and after a week or so of putting it on the itching went and hasn't really been back. I have my normal eczma on my hands but have never found anything to help that.

Yoga - I did this in my first pregnancy and it wasn't very hardcore but I did enjoy an hour and half of relaxing stretches and as you get bigger some of the positions feel so good for your back! It was also nice to do something with other pregnant woman. Towards the end the 20mins relaxtion at the end was great and I quite regularly dozed off image
  • Options
    Awww I feel for you!!! It's really hard to get much sympathy for itchiness but I can vouch for how utterly round the bend it can make you feel! I was told to use aqueous cream and lot's of it, it didn't really help to be honest! I think at some point in pregnancy you can take piriton but the pharmacist wouldn't give me anything and neither would the midwife, I was literally scratching myself raw! Just wanted to offer some sympathy!!!

I did pregnancy yoga last time, I didn't feel much benefit but I think the breathing techniques helped, always felt like nodding off at the end. It was a nice thing to do though!
  • Options
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhh gosh I'm exactly the same with the whole itchy boobs thing image I've been scratching myself raw (sometimes until I bleed!) cos my boobs itch so much image

xxx
  • Options
    G/C from DIS with warning on the itching, try to avoid it where you can (nigh impossible at times I know) or be prepared for the appearance of stretch marks in that area later in pregnancy. There is antihistimene you can take during pregnancy (tell your pharmicist your a hayfever sufferor as pollen counts are already sky high and pregnancy makes things ten times worse) this can help relieve some of the itching, along with E45 cream or Shea Butter (ideally left to soak into the skin rather than massaged in fully). Best wishes.
  • Options
    my boobs don't really itch but oh my god my nipples are driving me CRAZY!!! can't really feel it during the day but at night....I wake up with raw and bleeding nipples as I scratch it all night! I tried to sleep in a bra but it doesn't do much....I can't wait to see my midwife in 3 weeks to tell her and hopefully get something for it! (i suffer with eczema also which spread around my body since I got pregnant, so I think it may be a bit of that also)

As for the yoga, had my first lesson last Monday and LOVED IT!!! I just can't wait for another lesson, so relaxing!!
  • Options
    Thanks all, I really feel that this is the worst symptom so far - possibly because I feel fine otherwise and therefore am focussing on it too much haha!

I'll try what I have for a few days, need to visit Dr on tuesday for my pregnancy medical (?) anyway so if it's still this intense then I'll see if she can help - although you may remember from a previous post that she's a total hard-ass so I don't hold out much hope... May ask to see a different GP this time.

Another positive I need to remember, I have a new midwife! and she's so lovely, similar age to me and has a little grrl so has knows the whole process from both sides. Oh and she went to the same yoga classes I'm trying. Ahhh, good stuff image

xxx