Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Gave in to my impatience

Went to booking on Monday to be told scan date would be rushed through as I am at least 12 weeks today but still no letter just rang to see what was going on to be told by the health centre it could be anywhere up to 16 weeks grrr explained that I had been told it would be rushed through but she said my midwife only works a couple of days a week and to wait till the end of this week by this point I would be 13 weeks. So gave in and booked private scan on Saturday at Baby bond image Just want to know everything is ok? and tell everyone. Was at a baby shower Saturday gone and watching my friends baby move inside her stomach was amazing. Hope everrything is ok? Keep you updated.

Replies

• I don't blame you, I would be the same image good luck with the scan!
  • G/C from DIS but have to say 'good for you', waiting that long for a scan is absurd. Your first scan is where they take the measurements to test for downs syndrome, if it doesn't occur at a set time scale then you'll need alternative tests done which means further appointments and scans that you wouldn't have needed otherwise.
  • I don't think I could have waited that long either.
  • I'm glad you've got a scan booked and will be able to see all is OK with bubba and start telling people!

However - I would be giving the hospital a call back, or get your GP to do it - NT scans (to check for Downs Syndrome) have to be performed between 11 - 13 weeks, and all women should be offered an appointment to have this done. There used to be just a blood test but after lots of studies it was found that the blood test alone wasnt accurate enough, and thats why NT scans are now available to women on the NHS. Give them a call and see what they have to say about the fact you havent been offered one of these. The fact your midwife only works a few days a week isnt your problem xxxx
  • I think it depends on the NHS authority you fall under - not all offer nuchal scans as standard.
  • Thanks, I am going to wait till the end of the week for a letter and ring the hospital again. Can't wait till Saturday image Keep you all updated. Sure I can feel little movements? image
  • Well good luck - make sure you let us know how it goes image And post a pic if you can!

squeezedd - sorry if I had that wrong, however I'm pretty sure that in the very near future all hospitals will have to offer the Nuchal scans on the NHS as new NICE Guidelines have recommended that all women be offered the combined test (NT scan & blood test). Obviously it hasnt been set up in all areas as of yet but hopefully soon will be. I'm a gynae nurse and its something we've wanted to see added to antenatal care for a long time.

xx
  • My hospital doesn't offer the NT test but I'm pretty sure that the sonographer did it during the scan anyway, I'm sure she measured something at (where I guess was the back of the neck) but she never mentioned it as course of scan. Our hosp offers the quad blood test which I've got in a few weeks

Cazzy is it likely that she will have measured it even though they say they don't offer it? I'm a bit concerned now that I think she did even though she said eveything looked fine :?
  • Sorry zanymum I forgot to say I don't blame you for booking a private scan, I certainly couldn't wait that long!! Hope it all goes well, fingers crossed for you!
  • My scan letter arrived scan is the follwing Monday ahhh damn my impatience paid an 30 deposit hope they will refund or let me change the type of scan? will find out tomorrow.
  • typical, good luck with the refund.
  • Yay got in touch with babybond got 12 week scan on Monday and gender scan on 18th June using the same deposit. image they were really nice
  • thats great hun glad they were good
  • Ohh that's ace they let you change it to the gender scan. I kind of want a gender scan just because 20 week scan seems ages away, but oh wants a 3d scan too and I don't really want to fork out for both!

cazzy I think you're right about all being offered it in future, I just remember reading that some places don't offer it as standard. It's in the minority though I think.
  • Good news! We can't wait to have our gender scan, hopefully will be booking it for when I'm exactly 16 weeks a week on Thurs and it's 3D too. I wonder if baby will look weird in 3D so young??