Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2011

Anyone used one of the body pillows?

Hi ladies im starting to get lower backache and round my tummy when in bed and just wondering if any of you have used those body pillows and if so have they helped as im thinking of buying one if its going to be usefull xx

Replies

• G/C from DiAug sorry

I have one of the extra large body pillows that is shaped like a giant V I can use it as a pillow for my head and both arms go all the way down to my knees either side.

It has been a godsend to me as I suffer from really bad SPD and have to turn over regularly (every 1/2 hour to 1hour) during the night. Having one this big means that I don't have to move the pillow everytime I turn as it is already there. It supports my ever increasing bump at the same time as supporting my hips as it is a decent cushion for between my knees.

i would definately recommend one as it can be used as a BF cushion (if you choose to) after the birth and also a cushion to support baby when you put baby down for a second as it is easy to change into different shapes.

I got mine off ebay at a reasonable price here is the one I got got one that came with pillow case though)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BIG-V-SUPPORT-PILLOW-MATERNITY-PREGNANCY-BODY-COMFORT-U-/280689390608?pt=UK_Baby_Maternity_Pregnancy_MJ&hash=item415a643410

• I have!!!! Love love love it!!!!! It supports you in all the right places, it takes up the space in the bed but who cares? I've got a dream genie think it was from John Lewis!! xxx
  • Thankyou so much ladies,and thankyou alf_n_osks_mum will have a look at the link as was going to ask wheres best place to get them from and i know ebay is always quite good so will have a look image . They definetly seem worth buying,so i shall be investing in one soon.Thanks again image xx
  • ooo I am liking the look of those.......very comfy, at the mo i have got a pillow each side of me...x
  • I have not bought one yet but am about too also as my back and tummy muscles ache most of the night....I heard really great reviews about the dream genie...
  • I got a wedge from Babies R Us. Its quite small so easy to move around now im getting bigger and its very comfy. I couldnt have a big full body pillow because hubby takes up too much room! xx
  • Wow....how comfy does the one Alf_and_osks mum's look?? I'm so going to have to invest in one of those....

I don't even care if it takes up too much space...OH can sleep on the floor hehe!!

Thank you for the link Alf_and_osks mum!

Ellie xxx
  • I've been reading some of the reviews on the body pillow they sell in argos for ??19.99 and all have been good,everyone on there has said what a god send they have been and how there a must have for pregnant women.Im going to try & pop to argos this evening & get one ready for tonight as my back is so unconfortable at nights now,and im these pillows must be worth the money with nothings but good reviews so going to give it a go image
  • I definitely would greesh. Hope you manage to get one, and I hope you have a better nights sleep. It's awful when you can't sleep, makes you have a rubbish day! Fingers crossed it works for you. You'll have to let us know if you recommend it!!

Ellie xxx
  • I've got one from last time - it's like a big 7 with a squashed bit in the middle... It goes from my back round underneath my bump and between my legs. The first time I used it I thought it was ridiculous but it's fantastic for support! Def recommend them... :lol:
  • Sorry to be a voice of doom....but I hated mine! My best friend has given me her dream genii (the one that looks like a 7) and its the most godawful thing!

I ought to point out that I'm a "hot" person - i.e. I can't have OH touching me in bed when I'm sleeping as I get too hot.

I got back and bump ache at 12-14 weeks because bump wasn't big enough to rest on the bed but was heavy enough to pull my muscles. I personally found that one of the really flat pillows from my spare bed (cheapo ones :lol: ) was much better as it just went under my bump. The dream genii required me to have it between my legs which, whilst being fairly comfy, was just tooooo hot! imageops:

I also felt like I was taking up too much space and pushing OH out of bed - looking back now he had loads of room compared to my current bump!

Incidentally, I've not needed a pillow for weeks and found that when I got to 18-20 weeks that bump was big enough to rest on the bed image
  • Well oh went and got me the one from argos so going to try it out tonight and will let u know tomorrow how i got on!x
  • I am glad that the link was useful.

I had a dream genie one last time and couldn't get on with it as I still had to turn it over everytime I moved. This one is bliss and yes it does take up a lot of room but for me its worth it - my husband reckons after the birth it will be a good contraceptive as I have a physical barrier blocking him!! :lol:

My 4 year old reckons he is having it for his bed afterwards as he loves snuggling up in it.

Good luck with finding a pillow that suits you
  • Well ladies used the pillow last night and it was great!Made a difference to my nights sleep,slept alot better didnt have the back/tummy ache i've been getting.I did still wake up a few times but not due to the aching,i just keep waking up at night,anyone else like this?Dont know why it is,with dd i only had trouble sleeping at the end of the pregnancy when i was almost due which i think is normal but for it to be happening now at 16wks is making me wonder why? :? x
  • oh I'm pleased to hear it, I expect mine to arrive today and I cannot wait!!!

I also wake up at night, mentally always check that I'm lying on my side and go back to sleep........weird!
  • Glad you got a good nights sleep, I keep waking up on and off even though the extra duvet (under me) and the extra three pillows I've been using have helped my hips stop hurting as much.

I do keep pushing the one behind me half off the bed though so when I roll onto it when I'm turning over I nearly fall out of bed. That wakes me up good and proper.
  • Lol clalee that made me laugh,not that it would be funny if you fell out of bed!Well i suppose we may aswell get used to waking up in the night as itl be happening alot when the babies are here!!xx
  • lol that's what hubby keeps telling me, he also asked it I cold try not to wake him up wildly waving my arms about trying to regain my balance so I pointed out he'll be getting woken up too.
  • :lol: clalee, I know I shouldn't but the image of you nearly falling out of bed made me giggle!! Touche to the comment back to hubby too :lol:

I think that's what 9 months of tiredness, and not sleeping properly is for. Preparing us. I find it funny when people say at the end 'make sure you get all the sleep you can, because you won't be getting any when baby is here!' I'm like....I havn't had any for 9 months, why would the last few weeks make any difference! hehe

Ellie xxx
  • :lol: poor clalee nearly falling off the bed,i woke up in the night last night and wondered where my pillow had gone to see it was on the floor,i must of kicked it out whilst fidgeting around & i was so tired i didnt bother to pick it up just left it on the floor! Ellie_and_L your right i think the whole waking up thing during pregnancy is just a way of preparing us,its strange really how our bodies work.. i've often thought about when babys here & how close it is to christmas & that im going to feel exausted i expect as baby will only be about a month old (if comes on time). We usualy spend every christmas with my mum & stepdad but oh & i have decided this year we want to be at home on our own the four of us as a little family for the first year which should be nice,any of you ladies thought about christmas and will you be doin things differently this year?xx