Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Nov 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Non underwired bras & maternity jeans

Hey girls

I went to get measured at M&S last week cos my bras were just not fitting and I usually wear underwired but had read everywhere that you shouldn't wear them when pregnant and thats what the m&s lady said too.

Chose some and when I got them home and wore each of them for the day they were sooo uncomfortable and were probperly digging in under my boobs so i had red marks! Was very annoyed so spoke to my sis-in-law who is a doctor and also pregnant and she said she has been wearing underwired the whole time and the main reason they are suggested is for comfort so I took them back today and got underwired ones instead! Anyone else had the same??

I also went on the hunt for maternity jeans cos I am really struggling and can only really wear leggings at the mo and am running out of long tops to wear with them due to sily weather. I went to H&M (they didn't stock any maternity clothes in that branch), neither did Topshop cos it was tiny and New Look had some bits but none the right size so I am very annoyed! Anyone else in the same predicament??

xx

Replies

• Options
    Yep. Especially as I'm a big-boobied lady (usually a 32G, now a 36H!!!) so had to make a trip back to Bravissimo. The woman in there explained that you could wear underwired as long as you get re-measured regularly to ensure they're not digging in. I just got three non-wired bras which set me back 80quid(!) but they'll see me through my pregnancy.

I found Dorothy Perkins fantastic for their maternity range, especially their jeans! You might have better luck in there? You'll probably need to shop online or go to a larger branch though

xxx
  • Options
    Yeah I'm struggling with maternity clothes too. They really don't have much choice at all, unless you shop in baby shops. Mothercare and Mamas and Papas are great for where I live. Online shopping is how I do most of the shopping though, which is a bit of a pain because I always like to try on before I buy so the whole process of buying something takes so much longer!

I have non wired bras. I don't really find them that bad but to be honest, my boobies are quite small. image

Ellie xx
  • Options
    Try having a look in Peacocks for maternity clothes, I got a pair of combats, jeans and work trouser. WEnt back yesterday and got 4 t-shirt style tops for ??20. I'm still wearing wired bra's but to be honest as soon as I'm home their off! Will have to go and get measured again soon x
  • Options
    My peacocks has literally the SMALLEST maternity section. I went in last week and all they had were black work pants. Black leggings and a few work tops. They did have a sale on at the time so maybe they were making room for the sale items by reducing the maternity section perhaps?? I did find some fabulous stuff from there last time though!

Ellie xx
  • Options
    G/C from DIS but the reason they suggest against underwired is because of the digging in preventing growth of milk ducts (as long as you have a recheck on the comfort and non-digging in on a regular basis then you should be ok, though if BFing again expect the nursing bras to be non-underwired.) Maternity jeans, I recommend Next.co.uk, they do over and underbump styles in a variety of sizes and fits and if ordered by 9pm will deliver next day.
  • Options
    Hello yes I wear underwire bras since becoming pregnant, I am a cup C normally, now D (!!) but find them very comfortable (mothercare). I bought jeans from Seraphine (online) and they look great, most importantly they feel very very good on!!!! So far, I have done 95% of my shopping online and apart from one dress all fits very well......
  • Options
    omg i had EXACTLy the same thing happen.. the non underwired were soooo tight! same size, same shop.. i couldn't understand it..

I've reverted to my underwired.. i think as long as you're in comfortable bras then that's the best thing..

Re maternity clothes i've bought loads from ASOS (they've got a sale on at the moment), ebay for isabella oliver stuff and H&M maternity image got loads of stuff, also new look, got some gorgeous cropped jeans and denim shorts for like ??15 each!
  • Options
    G/c from front page. Really recommend Miriam stopped bras for big booked ladies. They are a little pricey but no where near like hot milk prices. They are not underwired but have a full breast secret support leaving only a round hole for nipple to go through. Great for discretion. U can get them in debenhams x
  • Options
    G/c from DID but I can recommend Seraphine for online shopping too. I got the bootleg jeans and they are lovely. They really hug my bum for a good shape whilst giving bump lots of space. I'm going to get another pair after pay day! x