Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

baby movements,how often?

hi ladies

i am 28 weeks pregnant and this doesnt seem an active baby. i feel baby move every day, whether its kicks or actual movement but i am worried as the midwife keeps saying 10 movements a day and the guidelines say 10 movements in 2 hours. I would never feel this many! yesterday for example i watched her move 3 times and felt 2 kicks.this is not decreased for me. I am having weekly cord/placenta scans and 2 weekly growth scans anyway.

How often do you all feel movements?

thanks xx

Replies

• Didn't want to read and run. I haven't counted how often baby moves but I have a wriggler constantly. I think it can be a bit scarey when they say it should move this amount of times. I'm not being funny but it's like saying how often you should have bowel movements! Some people go all their lives only going every two days, now if that's normal for you then that's normal. I think if you're being monitored/having weekly growth scans anyway then there's nothing to worry about. xxximage
  • G/C from DIS but focus on what you know and have always felt. If what you are used to feeling changes either way (suddenly very active or little to no movement felt) advise your MW. They are only guidelines and the majority of baby traces will still show an active heartbeat within normal range (baby will have sleepy moments and active moments and it is normal for baby to be most active whilst you're in dreamland completely oblivious).
  • i think you can have very sleepy babies but you just need to make sure you know what is normal for your baby.. each baby is different..

I checked the count the kicks website and found it very helpful.. It's about informing you what to look for and what not to worry about.. very good site..
  • Hi

I'm 26 weeks and have a very active little boy in there but took me a while to get into his pattern of moving and sleeping, if he has a very active day like yesterday, he will be quieter today. Like the others have said if you are getting regular scans and everything is ok that must be reassuring for you. It also depends if your placenta is at the front or back of the uterus.

I'm having a growth scan in 2 weeks as the legs were measuring a few days behind at 20 weeks (and my hospital is renowed for being very precise!)but at midwife appointment yesterday I was measuring spot on for dates and she said as Im 5ft its not going to be huge anyway ..you can't win! Also having placenta scan at 36 weeks due to the placenta (posterior)being a tiny bit over my cervix... :roll:

Take care and try not to worry..easier said than done I know!

Em xx
  • Thanks for replies.since i posted she has had the most active day ever!

I am glad they are keeping an eye cos she is measuring under the 10th centile and they gave me steroids last week to mature her lungs in case they need to deliver her early. X