Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What do Braxton Hicks feel like?

On my way to work this morning I was walking down the platform at Stratford and had to near enough stop walking because of a shooting but stitch like pain which took my breathe away. Was quite uncomfortable. Not sure what it is? Any help/advice would be great. Thanks! x

Replies

• G/C from DIS but it could be the start of BH. They can feel like period cramps/pain or mild constipation as your stomach muscles tighten temperarily, your belly will feel hard when touched. BH should come in an irregular pattern, last a few short seconds and should ease off when you move around more. Sadly, they aren't always painless (unlike the statements of usually painless by the man they're named after)
  • Thanks Kazzie. I slowed my walking right down but didn't completely stop still. I was like walking with a stitch. When I go on the train it seemed to ease with some rubbing of the bump and drinking cold water. Not had any since it was just a one off pain. Oh well something else to enjoy about pregnancy eh? :lol:
  • ahhh pudding i get that!!! i was wondering if it was BH too, but a friend of mine who's had them said hers were more like period pains and "you'd know"... someone suggested to me that it was stretching cos i'd been walking fast.. i get it when i go on the treadmill too..
  • Hi there, I've def had a few of these, and I think describing like period cramps is spot on, kind of for me goes across belly and round to back a bit. Certainly not 'painless tightenings!!'but only ever one at a time.

I have also had times when my belly has just gone really hard, which is more what they tell you a BH is like, just goes like a rock but no pain, v bizarre!!! So I guess you can get both ways!

xxxx
  • Braxton Hicks feel like twinges or aches and make you think 'ooh I wonder if Im going to go into labour'. But, there is no pattern them - you might just have one, or you might have them every couple of minutes and then they stop. They dont hurt, although they are uncomfortable. They feel different to contractions - but you wont know what I mean until your contractions start! Contractions felt to me sort of like period pains - they were low down in my tummy and they came on in waves. The pain starts like an ache very similar to your period, but you feel your tummy start to contract (like someone tightening a belt around you) and then the pain intensifies. It reaches a peak and then eases off. When they first start the pain is mild but you feel it build up, peak and then ease off. As the contractions get closer together they become more paintful but they still follow the same process, you feel it start, it grows intense and then it eases off and you get a little rest. With BH you dont tend to get that regular rhythem, they just seems to ache and get you all excited because you think the baby is comming! xx