Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Have I wasted money?

I've been readin through about bottle feeding and it seems everyone is feeding at room temperature. I bought a bottle warmer. Do people not use them anymore? Does it just heat it up to room temperature if the bottles are stored in the fridge? :?

Replies

• Options
    G/C from DIS but you have not necessarily wasted your money as every mum and baby will have their own feeding habits. Some babies will have no problem accepting a feed served at room temp whilst others will want it warmed through. Remember that normally breastmilk will be at mummy's bodytemp so slightly warmed to room temp (unless your house is kept like a sauna, another point to remember, all homes will be heated differently). I used to warm DD's feeds for first 4mths and only when I started weaning did I go onto room temp bottles.
  • Options
    G/C from DID - I used one once I moved to formula to heat water up as was quicker to reheat cooled boiled water than to boil kettle and cool it enough to drink! Although the guidelines all say about mixing formula in boiled water and then cooling to prevent bacteria. I kind of did my own thing and DS seems perfectly ok! x
  • Options
    I wouldn't say it was a waste of money. You might find that you want to warm your LO's feeds up. It's totally your choice what you want to do!!

Last time, we warmed the feeds! It was the only way I knew to make a bottle as everyone around me had always done it with theirs. This time we're going to do room temperature bottles!! Partly because I want the midnight feeds to be as easy and quickly as possible because I don't want to wake up my daughter and partly because it's alot easier when out and about!

If you decide you want to do room temperature, could you not exchange it from the shop you got it from for something else?

Ellie xx
  • Options
    I've only just seen this, I was chatting to a new mum a few weeks back (she was a graduate of the aqua-natal class I've been going to) she said her lo would only accept a feed that had been warmed. He was 5 weeks premauture and she was mix feeding now he was big enough to cope with breastfeeding so I don't know if that made a difference, but she said feeding him had been a nightmare till someone suggested she got a bottle warmer and then it was a doddle.