Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2011
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

To VBAC or not??!

I had my consultant appointment today and they are completely undecided as to what I should do!

I had a EMCS with my first who is now 3 because after an induction and 12 hours she was sideways on and I had not progressed enough.

They think this one is going to be a big baby as I am huge for dates so have a growth scan booked for the 12th but if it is just fluid and he is a normal size they say it is my decision!

I am so scared and really don't know what the right decision is. Part of me would like to try for a normal delivery but I am so scared that my wound will rupture. Also that I will get to the same stage as last time and it will end up as an EMCS again.

Any experience of any of this? Please help!

xxx

Replies

• Tiggler, I'd love to offer more adivce but I've only had a normal delivery so really don't know what a hard decision this is for you.

I don't think the midwives/consultants would let you deliver normally if they thought you were at risk of your scar rupturing.

Perhaps a post in the C-Sections and VBAC room would help you more??

Hope you manage to make a decision, and one that you feel comfortable with!!

Ellie xx
  • Tiggler, I'm in the same boat as you - I've no idea what I should do...

I had an emergency csection first time round and it was the labour from hell, totally wiped after. I have major fear of the same thing happening again but was told that they don't do elective sections so I had to go VBAC. At my 34wk appointment I was told my chances of VBAC aren't high due to history and my age (!) and that I need to see consultant next week to discuss my options in more detail.... I really have no idea what I'll be told next week, it could all change again!

Wound rupture is actually a very low risk (something like less than 1%) but it gets higher if you need to be induced. They have said that it won't get to that as the person would be monitored so closely. (again depends on hospital I guess)

I've been told that if I want VBAC then they'll try to bring me on early so to lower the risks (don't really understand how that works..) but that I would be monitored a lot earlier and any sign of complications I'd have a csection immediately.

Dont think I've helped any here - if you find out more, please post it on here. I'll let you know what I hear next week. It might be helpful!

:roll: