Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

First doctors app- what to expect

I'm going to the doctor on Friday morning for my first appointment, and just wondered what happens!

I was told I would have to give a urine sample, so I know they will take a urine test. Will they take a blood test too? Will they do anything else to me?!

Also, is it appropriate for my hubby to come with me or not? I said it would be nice for him to come with me if he can, but he isn't sure it this is something you do or not!

Thanks!

Replies

• When I went with my most recent bfp, the urine was to check for infections rather than a pregnancy test. They took my blood pressure and told me to ring the midwife to arrange my booking in appt. They didn't do anything else so its a bit of an anticlimax really. Maybe hubby could go to booking in apt instead, as they do ask a few questions there about both family histories.
  • Hiya

Last time Dr just weighed me and had a quick chat about keeping healthy etc, and gave me my notes. Midwife called a few days later and made an appointment for my booking in, thats when my bloods etc were taken. I went myself to my 1st Dr appointment as I was in and out in a few mins but OH was there for the booking in with my 1st pregnancy but we didnt bother the 2nd time round, I just went myself. Hope this helps.

• Hey hun, I went to the GP on the evening I got my BFP. My GP just told me to take folic acid, not smoke/drink (durrr) and stop my inhalers. That was it! He said he would write off to the midwife for an appointment which I've just got the letter through for today. From the looks of that I'll have blood tests taken (NHS has had so much of my blood this last 12 months haha), a urine test and book the 12-week scan. I've got a big yellow booklet thing to fill in, I've never been so excited about filling in some forms! My OH is going to come with me to the midwife appointment xx
  • Where I live you go straight to the midwives - no docs. But only after 6 weeks. Last time she weighed me, took my blood pressure, gave me a load of leaflets of diet, exercise, pre-natal tests and I filled in forms for prescription exemptions and scans. Then she waved me off! I'd agree it was a bit of anticlimax but reassuring that I was now 'in the system'.

I am going tomorrow for midwife's appointment, I think I am around/over six weeks but I need a scan to confirm. I still have all my info from last time, just looked it out in fact, so I can save them some paper there.

Good luck, hope it goes great.

PP XXX
  • Thanks ladies! I just didn't have a clue what to expect! That helps!