Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

multi vitamins

is everyone taking pregnancy multi vitamins or just folic acid. last pregnancy i just took folic acid until my twelve week tests when they identified that i was low in iron and got prescribed Pregaday which is folic acid and iron combined . however the midwife said i should also be taking vitamin d now. Im wondering if i was lacking in it last time as i suddenly got crumbling teeth last pregnancy and needed four filling in the space of a couple of months whereas i hadn't ever had any before! so wondering if this was why. however i can't find any supplements that are just vitamin d.it only seems to be in the pregnancy muktivitamins. Im a bit scared of taking these as i had a threatened miscarriage last pregnancy and my doctor suggested i avoid muktivitamins in early pregnancy as they don't know how they affect the baby. so confused!

Replies

• I'm taking a pregnancy multivit but amazingly it doesn't have any folic acid in so I'm taking that separately. Vit D is what you mainly get from the sun and I remember reading somewhere that a lot of babies are now born with a deficiency as less time is spent outside when your pregnant (no idea where the link is there though!) When I had my last checkup the dentist told me that I really need to look at my teeth and gums while I'm pregnant to check for damage as less nutrients are available to me and it causes damage quicker, only thing is I'm not really sure what I'm looking for!

I'd listen to your GP but all vits are better in their natural form anyway so maybe have a look where you can get vit D from in food and sit in the sun for 30 mins a day (if there is 30 mins of it out!) x x

• i think i will spend more time outside this pregnancy as i only work part time and usually take dd out at least once a day for a walk. last time i was stuck in an office full time so maybe ill get more vitamin d this time anyway x
  • I don't think you need that much sun to get the RDA, its more fun outdoors anyway! x x

• I take pregnacare like i did with DS x

• I take pregna care too. midwife said you def should take vitamin d and if you can't afford to buy the vitamins they should give them to you at the hospital.
  • I'm taking pregnacare image xx