Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2012

do you have any pets

We have a cat called Cleo. She is a rescue cat and very vocal. She is 7yrs now and we had her for 14m before Ds1 was born. She hates babies, she avoids me when they are tiny. She loaths toddlers and tends to bite/scratch them. However now Ds1 is older she loves him! image The boys want guinea pigs but we are putting them off for a couple of years! :-P Xxx

Replies

• We have a cat called Amber. Apparently she's quite rare as she's an all female ginger!! She's 11 now and she's also a rescue cat. She was enjoying a nice quite life with us until my little boy came along!!

• We have a menagerie!!  2 horses who my daughter adores, 3 cats and 2 dogs!!  3 out of the 7 are rescues, the most recent is our collie skye who came to us at 10 months old having already had 4 homes!  She is wonderful with my wee girl but definately has her "issues" lol!  She has come on fantastically but still has a way to go before she trusts us completely I think.  Both the dogs are deaf so we use sign language with them which Jennifer is now copying - so funny watching her boss them around!  One of the horses was going to be shot - she has a condition which means she cant be ridden so her owner didnt want her, so she keeps my other horse company as he hates being on his own.  The cats are a mixed bag, 2 are terrified of J, but the other one jack adores her and follows her round the house purring! 

• We have 2 cats called Mo and Jake- thats where I got my name from! We have been saying for ages we will be getting a dog this year, my hubby is really desperate to get one, and I love them too. I'm a bit worried now though about getting one with the baby. I wonder if we should wait until after baby is born incase the dog feels jealous of him/her. I really do want a dog, but just wonder if we should wait a bit...any advice?

• We never had any jealousy issues with our dogs (we had 3 when J was born) but we did find we didnt have as much time for them as we would like.  We also shut them out the room whenever the baby was on the floor so they did spend a lot of time out of the room which they hated at 1st.  It's better now J is older and we can all go for a walk together and she can actually play with the dogs but it's really personal preference.  It might be better to get a puppy a few months before baby is due, get all the toilet training out the way and then baby and dog can grow up together.  It also means the pup can be trained from an early age before the baby arrives that there are no go areas in the house and so hopefully will be used to being restricted to certiain rooms from day 1.  Hope this helps, my own experience is that children adore animals and it is great for them to grow up around them.

x

• We have 4 rabbits and a rescue cat who is 7 now, shes lovely image
  • we just have the one dog, a five year old collie called Jeff.

I used to ride a lot when I was younger but stopped when I was about 15 for 9 years, got back into it a couple of years ago and was tempted to carry on riding for a while although my husband pulled a face and I've not sat on a horse since I got my BFP, decide that as soonb as I have had this baby I WILL be buying the hose I've always wanted!

• I've got no pets, but I would love some! I always had cats when I was growing up and really miss them but being in a rented flat we can't have any xx

• We have a house bunny called Winston image Not sure what he'll make of a baby, probably not much!  lol!  He's very sociable though and loves being made a fuss over.  Hope he'll like our new addition! x

• I had a bunny when I was a teenager, I'd sometimes bring her in the house but she'd chew threw the cables so I'd have to watch her like a hawk so she didnt electrocute herself! xx

• Aw they do like cables! We've "bunny proofed" the house after discovering that image xx
  • My rabbit once chewed through the phone wire. My dad was not happy as he worked from home and missed a lot of calls until we realised whoops. Stardust was banned from the house then! Xxx