Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Panicing, advise from ladies who've had scans.

Hi ladies, I had my scan n tuesday and was measured at 13 + 1, baby appeared fine, strong heart beat etc. she measured the back of the neck and it was around 2.5 - 2.9 and she said they wouldn't worry unless it was 3.5 however they would look at the measurement along with the blood they took. They said they would call wihin a week if any pobs. Well tonight at 4:50 they called ... I missed it ... They left a message asking me to call the ante natal screening dept. however when i called back turns out they are now fricking closed till monday! Called the midwife number i was given and they are next to useless and just kept saying id have to wait till Monday to call them. So i just wondered if any of you had had follow up calls after your scans and what it had turned out to be, really worried that its going to be something bad and cant believe i have to wait till monday to find out. Thanks for any help or advise. Xxx

Replies

• Options
    Oh hun. So sorry you are being put through this panic. Not sure what to advise Tbh as refused the fold scan. I hope it isn't bad news and they were just ringing routinly. Hugs hun Xxx
  • Options
    Thanks hun, just really pissed off that she left a message when they were only open for another 10 minutes and then shut till Monday, how to cause worry - why didnt they just call again on Monday - grrr. Trying not worry but cant help it, have looked at the measurements and they are good so thinking it must be the blood tests and hopefully will be something really simple, will just have to try not to think about it - atleast the baby is alive and kicking so will focus on that. Thanks again for replying, really appreciate your support. Hope everythings ok with you. Xxx
  • Options
    Hi Hun, sorry to hear you are panicking, think you are right they should have just rung you back on Monday. I didn't go for the test either so not positive what it entails, just wanted to let you know that when I was pregnant with dd I had to have one of the bloods they take at your first midwife appt repeated, can't quite remember why but for some reason they couldnt test it. Hope it's something similar Hun,I'm sure everything is ok. let us know on Monday x x x
  • Options
    i haven't had my scan this time yet but with dd i had a call telling me that i was anemic and needed to collect a prescription from my doctor for iron tablets. like you say i shouldn't think they would call you about something serious at the end of the day x fingers crossed everything is ok and try not to worry too much this weekend x
  • Options
    Thanks so much jessiepud for the reply, its great having somewhere to go for extra support to put my mind at rest. Thanks devon_mummy your reply has really helped, i have polycystic ovaries so was wondering if it could be that my blood sugar levels are high, i also had a massive bleed at 7 weeks so also wondered if i too could be anaemic, sure it's something straightforward image and you have all helped to make me feel better about the situation. Might complain about the answer phone message - having a rant always improves my mood ha ha. I'll let you all know the outcome. Thanks again. Xxx
  • Options
    Another thought is do you know your blood group? As you had a bleed early on before your bloods were taken you could be rhes negative? If so they could be ringing you because you need an ant d injection? I have them. Hope you slept ok and didn't lay awake worrying. Xxx
  • Options
    Hi hun, Thanks for the thought, it's a good one but I'm rhesus positive so it's not that. Confused.com ha ha. Feeling much better today and managed to sleep well - until our neighbours stupid chicken decided to act out a murder at 6:30 this morning, bloody thing is soooo loud (guess i should get used to early morning wake ups ha ha). Xxx
  • Options
    Did you manage to speak to anyone today? How you doing? Xxx
  • Options

Hi hun did you get hold of them today? I was going to say I didn't get a call after my NT, just the letter, but I got a call after my first booking in appointment as they'd missed something off the blood test form. Hopefully it's just some admin thing like that xx

• Options

Hi hon, hope you've managed to speak to them and everythings ok.  How awful to leave you worrying like that. xx

• Options
    Hi hun, did you manage to speak to someone yesterday? X x
  • Options
    Hi ladies, sorry didnt reply sooner. they rang to say our risk of our baby having downs syndrome is increased, 1:40. Was really shocked (am only 29 and might be presumptuous but didnt think it would be a prob for us). anyway after the shock we went to hospital and spoke to consultant, we're having an amnio next tuesday to find out for certain (we will keep the baby no matter what but feel we need to know so we can prepare if we need to). Thanks so much for all your support it means a lot. just feel completely numb and not sure exactly how to feel about it all. xxx
  • Options
    MrsE I'm so sorry you have to worry like this hun. I can completely understand that you need to know either way to prepare. Its a very worrying time, I was only speaking to my friend this morning who had gone through this with her daughter and she was telling me how it was a shock and a worry waiting to hear (results came back baby didn't have downs). I will be thinking of you over the next few weeks, please keep in touch and let us know how you are feeling x x x
  • Options
    I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. I hope the anmio works out and your baby doesn't happen.
  • Options

MrsE sorry to hear that your risk factor was increased, try not to worry though I know it is easier said than done - remember it is only a calculation, a high risk factor doesnt necessarily mean the baby will have Down's and visa versa. I hope the amnio goes well. Like you I would keep the baby either way but I would want to to be prepared in case. Keep in touch with how you get on, we are all here if you need to chat xx

• Options
    I am 20 weeks pregnant with my second child. I too received that phone call. I completely understand the turmoil you're going through. My husband and u decided we wouldn't have the amnio as we for both our babies we have tried so hard to get them that we would keep this precious life no matter what. I lasted about 8 days of breaking down in tears at the drop of a hat. In public, home alone and in front of my daughter. My husband and I spoke again and decided I couldn't go through the rest of the pregnancy without knowing. I needed to prepare myself mentally. We spoke with both the consultant and councillor and then went ahead with the Amnio. I put my feet up for two weeks! No vacuuming, no ironing ... No housework! Our results came back baby is negative for Downs. I am glad I had the Amnio. Remember the 1/40 odds are definitely in your favour. The blood work is notorious for giving false positives image good luck and and enjoy your beautiful baby x
  • Options
    Oh hun. Glad you are sounding so positive. I can only echo what the others have said. Keep us up to date, good luck and take care Xxx
  • Options

Thank you for all the replies and thank you for your story Kiwigirl, that is really reassuring to hear.

I'm pleased I sound positive because I really don't feel it to be honest.  I think it must be inbuilt in our nature to fear the worst before we know anything for definite, what is up with that! image

Keep having a wide range of emotions from sad that this is happening and we could possibly have a baby with a syndrome and not the baby we imagined, guilt for feeling like having a baby with DS isn't ok, angry because why is it happening to us after trying for 2 years and then having a massive bleed at 7 weeks followed by the worry of the baby not being alive by the 12 week scan, then more guilt because I should be over the moon that I'm actually pregnant and stop being so selfish - grrrr, I'm sooo confused. It's going to be a long wait for the amnio next tuesday and the results by next Friday - just want to know now.  And it doesn't seem to matter how many stories I read of people who have had a high risk  but gone on to have a normal amnio it doesn't seem to reassure me. 

I never knew pregnancy would be so hard - I thought the TTC bit was supposed to be the tricky stressful bit, when will pregnancy start to be fun?

Anyway enough self wallowing, thank you all for your support.

X

• Options
    Oh mrsE im so sorry you are confused by all your feelings, I haven't been through this but would say they all sound like very normal/natural emotions to have. Don't feel guilty in the slightest hun. I know you said positive stories don't reassure you which again is understandable but I know 2 ladies who have had the amnio and both have come back baby does not have down syndrome. I know these don't ease your worry at all but just want you to know the odds are still very much likely that baby won't have downs And don't apologise to us ladies, we are all here for eachother for support. Thinking of you x x x
  • Options
    These feelings are normal hun. Don't feel guilty about that. Make sure you don't bottle your feelings up. We are here if you feel you are unable to open up to anyone else. Don't apologise for ranting. That is what we are here for. Keep us updated. Stay strong. Thinking of you. Xxx