Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

20 week scan :)

Hi ladies, went for my 20 week scan this morning (at 19+5) and all was fine with Bubbles and happy to stay put in Team Yellow!! I hadn't felt much movement in the 24 hours before so I was a little but worried, no need though one very wriggly baby in there!!

Only slight downer was I have a marginal placenta previa so I'll have to go for another scan at 28-30 weeks to see if its moved. Apparently it's more common to move rather than stay there so fingers crossed things can stay natural... I tried to upload a pic on the other thread but it wouldn't let me for some reason so I'll try again later.

Good luck for all the other scans!! x x

Replies

• Glad all is ok. With another scan Will be nice to see baby again! image fingers crossed placenta behaves! Did you get mat b1 form to give to work? Refused mine as illegal to give before 20w image have to contact midwife for it now. Annoying! Xxx
  • Exactly, I'm pretty sure it'll move so just an excuse to go back! We live in Australia hun so completly different healthcare system over here and no mat leave forms. But, I vaugely remember at my old doctors you could just pick one up at the reception desk, fill it in and the GP would sign it and give it back to you the next day. Mind you, that was a pretty small village practice x x 

• Glad all was well hun and I am sure that your placenta will move in time! Nimmy I rang my GP surgery and they said I will get my mat b1 when I see the midwife at 25 weeks xx

• Hi vw family,

Glad your scan went well, mine did too but like you have marginal pp, there scanning me at 34 weeks. Did they give you any advice? My doc just said I might bleed and to call the hospital if I did. After the appointment I remembered I fly in 4 weeks so I rang the hospital and they said to see my GP about it but I know they don't have the same knowledge as the obstetricians so a bit worried.

Inka xxx
  • Sorted the form. My mw was at gp surgery today. Don't see mw until 28w and form has to be with work by 26w so too late! Just need to send it to work now. Xxx
  • Hey Inka,

They didn't say anything at all during the scan about it and I haven't seen my GP yet. My appt with him is Thursday so I'll let you know if I have anoy other info. I spoke to my mum about it, she's a retired MW and basically said she 'thinks' they will say continue as normal but watch out for any bleeds after 26 weeks when they are more common, don't worry about 'pelvic rest' unless the GP says so and not to worry. I'm also meant to be flying later on (although about 7 weeks time so a bit later on), I'll have to ask him about that too.

Glad everything else was fine with your scan!!  x x

• Thanks for reply, will be really interested in what your GP says I've tried to see mine but can't get an appointment till next week.

You going on holiday when you fly? I was really looking forward to a break but now worried about going abroad and something happening which is silly but can't help it x

Inka x
  • Hey Inka,

So I went to see the GP today and he was so lovely about it all (even had a little listen to the HB even though I'd been in there for an age and he was running late).

Apparently he isn't overly worried about mine (I'm 1.5cm so really, really marginal) and has said I can fly up to 28 weeks, but flights should be under 4 hours to be safe. I've got my referal for another scan at 32 weeks, he said to come back and see him at 28 weeks for a checkup (I have a midwife one at 24 too), to keep an eye out for any bleeding and if I have any pulling feelings around the bikini line to take it easy (think that is advice for later on really).

The flying until 28 weeks is only set as a guideline because we won't know if it will have moved by then, he's just being safe.

I obviously can't tell you what to do, but I will still be going on holiday, I might just bring the dates forward so I'm not as far along. We were only going for a long weekend anyway so should be easy to alter. I assume your trip is already booked? Is there anyway you could go for a private scan soon and see if it has moved a bit by then and then make a decision? Both at my scan and today I was told that 2cm is the approximate cutoff for obs vs midwife care (but it might be different in the UK, and its all patient specific anyway).

Good luck with your decision and let me know what your GP says if you can get in to see them image x x

• 20 week scan today image

• Good luck baby fox, enjoy it xx
  • Thanks for sharing your advice vw family, I have to say most posts about bleeding are with mums over 28 weeks so that makes sense. My scan notes saying, 'reaching internal os' so not sure exactly how close that means.

Will see what my gp says and decide what to do but I can't change my booking and could only claim if she says I'm not fit to travel which seems unlikely as I've been fine, except I have had pain where placenta is is a over reach or do too much with my toddler x

Hope you have a fab holiday x
  • Humm, not sure what that means either! You have a lovely holiday too, and relax image

Hope your scan went well Babyfox! x x

• Hi,

Went to my see my GP today and she said she was not sure at all how to advice me. I wasn't surprised thought she might not know, she ended up ringing the hospital to get them to ring me and then I have to go back to her and say what they said, very uphelpful and I'm now waiting for a call back from the hospital which I'm positive I'll have to chase up and my date to travel is getting closer and closer! I followed hospital advice to go to GP and it's got me nowhere x getting stressed about it too which doesn't help either but nothing I can do.

Inka x
  • Update:

Just an update in case anyone else was worried about LLP and travel. My obstetrician got back to me and apparently very low risk of bleeding at this stage (24-25 weeks) and could only advise my travelling would be fine ( said to not have sex as a precaution) but otherwise no problem. He is chief executive of the department and apparently airs on the side of caution so I've decided to stop worrying and to look forward to my holiday xx Both insurance and travel company said ok if I have a 'fit to fly' letter to so not as concerned now xx