Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2012

Breast pumps

Hiya, is anyone thinking of breast feeding as a first time mam?  I'm really hoping to but don't want to fork out on an electric pump if it ends up that I can't BF.  

What are you planning on doing?  I'm thinking of buying a hand pump and then if all goes well, order an electric one once bubba is here?!?! x

Replies

• Have a hand pump. A tommee tippee one. I used it loads with Ds1 but never had time with Ds2. Never felt i needed an electric one as hand one worked fine for what i needed. They are well worth it especially if you get engorged in early days of milk being in! Just to relieve pressureimage you have reminded me tho, where the heck is mine?! Lol Xxx
  • I had a hand pump with my daughter, and I have bought another one this time as well, I've never had any experience of an electric pump but had no problems at all with the hand pump.

• I used an electric one with my son (Medela swing) and I absolutely swear by it for comfort and ease of use.  I struggled with bf but was always able to use the pump, so after 3 months I used the pump to express feed him.

• Thanks for all your advice image x
  • i think you're right to get a manual at the stage, they dont provide good enough stimulation to solely feed a baby - for this you need a pricey electric one - but they are good for here and there use and its silly to spend all that money on something you may never need that much. if you have feeding problems later or need to return to work early or something you could always get an electric one. I have an advent handheld which i used occasionally while i was off work with LO. He fed so much before he was having food that most of the time any kind of pumping was hard work next to just keeping him with me and bf. once he started having food it got easier to leave him with expressed milk for short periods. i returned to work when he was 8.5 months and it was very important to me - as id managed that far - to keep going til a year so i bought an expesive electric double pump (medela pump in style) to double pump at work - as i dont have much time and i do get more off. Its a lot of money but ill use it if i have another baby, plus when i think of what formula would have cost me tis nothing. but definately dont get one at your stage x