Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

paternity leave

Chatting to hubby tonight to learn that he only gets 2 days full paid paternity! He could have 2 weeks statutory but we really can't afford for him to do that. He has booked 3 days holiday to make it up to 1 week, but it doesn't seem very long! I felt like a bus had hit me aft birth of Ds2 and didn't leave the house for a week! Plus what if i need a c section? I Will have Ds1 to get to and from school, as well as trying to keep Ds2 to a routine. Omg i am in tears now. He has always had 2 weeks before 1week full pay and 1week holiday. He has 4days holiday left but wants to keep them for emergencies. No answers needed really, just a bit upset and scared esp about not coping and my pnd returning. I was a bitch aft Ds2 was born. Just wondered what your oh had available. Xxx

Replies

• my dh works for the nhs so gets 2 weeks paid paternity. i feel lucky in comparison.
  • My hubby will get a week off but not sure if this is paid or not?!  He just started a new job in March so hasn't really asked yet.......have you got any other support from anyone?  Family or friends? x

• Luckily my in laws are 2mins up the road my Fil is around during the day, and my main source of childcare. He Will be on call to take Ds1 to school. My parents are 20mins away and my mum is around when she is not working. She is a nurse and works shifts. I have had 1 friend who has offered to do some washing she has 4w old baby atm. Other close friends live too far away or have 2-3 small children themselves. Wouldn't be fair to ask for too much. I am just scared the stress Will bring my pnd back. I never want to be in that dark place ever again! Xxx
  • My OH won't get anything other than 2 weeks statutory. We can't afford for him to do that as I'll be on SMP as well so he is saving his holiday so he can use that instead xx