Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Nov 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

gestational diabetes

Had a Glucose tolerance test today. Not a great experience. Had to starve myself from 10pm. Went to hospital at 8am. Had blood sugar tested and blood taken. Drank 410ml of lucozade yuk! Then waited quietly for 2hrs. Then more blood taken. Got results this aft and my blood sugar started normal and went up aft lucozade as expected. Aft 2hrs my blood sugar should have been normal again, but it wasn't it was sky high. So this explains my previous big babies. Glad it has been caught so i can be looked after and get the care i need. Now i have to pick up a blood sugar monitoring kit tomorrow and check my blood sugar 4times a day. I have to attend a diabetes clinic once a week. On a Thursday (when i normally work :'-( ) i Will see about my diet and have scans. I Will probably have baby couple weeks early so mid October. All a bit daunting and scary. I have had a cry, talked to a few people and feel a bit better. Will find out lots more next week. Hope you guys are all ok. Xxx

Replies

• Oh wow, it's good that they have picked up on this! My friend is diabetic, she had scans every 2 weeks throughout final trimester then got induced 2 weeks early. Do they do this test as standard or did you have symptoms that made them think to do the test? xx

• They tested because my nearly 3yr old was over 10lb when born. Suspect i had diabetes then too. Lots of hospital trips, extra scans and early induction. Baby won't be born in Nov! Xxx
  • Sorry to hear that Nimmy but like you said at least you know now and you and the baby will be looked after. I'm having a glucose test at the end of August too as I have PCOS. Hoppe finding out more next week helps to put your mind at rest.

Xxx
  • Fingers crossed all goes well for both of you! xx

• Sorry to hear that Nimmy, but like you say good that it's been caught and you'll get extra support.

I've got my GTT on monday, they test everyone over here as standard between 26 and 28 weeks. Not looking forward to the 3 day carb overload to be honest let alone spending all morning at the hospital on an extensive diet of water... x x