Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Nov 2012
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Worried

I had a 28 week scan and saw the consultant yesterday and they have said the baby is very very small - falling below the 10th centile, my DD1 was measuring big through my whole pregnancy and was 10 days early and 8lb8oz (they even asked if I had a different partner) I have been told to rest all week and go back next Tuesday for another scan then again the following Tuesday, I'm really worried now.

I had my thyroid removed in Jan 11 which is why I'm under consultant care, my levels were checked 19th of July and were fine but lack of thyroxine can cause both physical and mental development problems. Due to be checked again on 30th August.

So much for resting, I'm so worried about this, I couldn't get a straight answer from the doctor yesterday so rang mw earlier who has reasured me a little but basicaly they wont know what they're dealing with until after the next two scans but if baby isn't growing I may be induced at 30 weeks image

Replies

• Options

Oh hun, what you're feeling is totally normal and I know its hard but please try and rest up. Tuesday will soon be here and you will hopefully know more then. Modern science is amazing and I'm sure they will do everything they can before considering inducing you early (like steroids maybe?) Hugs x x

• Options
    Sorry to hear this. You are in the best hands and they Will do all they can to keep baby safe. I have growth scan tomorrow as expecting baby to be large i Will be shocked if measuring small so i can imagine how you are feeling. Rest as much as you can. Thinking of you Xxx
  • Options
    Oh sorry to hear You are so worried chick, I hope everything shows to be ok, I know it's so hard not to worry but try just put your feet up and rest as much as you can Hun x x x
  • Options

I'm begining to come to the conclusion that they don't know what they're talking about when it comes tot he size of the baby, I was told DD1 was going to be 12+ lbs and she was 8lbs 8oz, my sister in law was induced at 37 weeks because her baby wasn't growing and was between 4 & 5 lbs, he was 7lb 6oz. A friend was told her baby was small at 38 weeks and was 9lbs.

• Options

Ah sorry to hear this, stress won't do anything for you!  Try to relax and like you say they might not know what they are talking about.  Hope everything works out well for you xx

• Options
    Yeh my sil was also told her baby was already 9lb at 37 weeks, he was born at 8lb9 6 days after his due date! X x x
  • Options
    Its good they are monitoring you and they will probably check the placenta. My dd1's growth slowed down at 32 weeks but she wad just a small baby. Good luck and try not to worry
  • Options

This week has gone suprisingly quickly, scan is at 4 tomorrow, just hope she's grown.

• Options

Good luck for tomorrow xx

• Options
    Hope today goes well chick x x
  • Options

Keeping everything crossed for you today.  Let us know how you get on xxx

• Options

I've had the scan today, it wasn't the same person as last week and I didn't have my green notes last week either as we'd just moved house and they got stuck in a box. The woman that did the scan had to copy everything accross to my notes this week - apparently my scan last week showed the fluid level as normal - but the registra told me I had too much fluid - no idea what thats about!

Also it turns out that they can't do a growth scan every week so we wont find out if the baby has grown until next week, all they've done this week is check my 'water' and blood pressure and the scan was to check blood flow to the placenta and fluid levels - apparently everything they've checked today is fine - which is a relief but I'm still as worried as I was about the baby's growth.

• Options
    Wow that would make me cross! Glad the news you have had is positive even if not about babies growth. Hope the next week flies for you. Xxx
  • Options

glad everything so far is normal - that is a big relief. Good luck for your next scan.

• Options

Hey Babyfox just wanted to drop in and wish you luck for your growth scan today. Thinking of you and hope all is well x x

• Options
    Good luck for today hun Xxx
  • Options

Just got back, scan was good, baby is still plotting below the 10th centile but is growing as expected, I will have to be scanned now every 2 weeks to check the growth but they're not looking at inducing me at this stage which is a relief as I haven't got a pushchair yet or any matresses.

• Options

That's great news! Hopefully its due a big growth spurt soon and it'll make its way back up the charts. If they aren't worried then try not to be yourself x x

• Options

That's good news hun, like vw_family says if they're not worried that's good xx

• Options

I saw the consultant yesterday, baby is now well above the bottom line and now likely to be 7.5 – 8lbs. No more scans for me now although I have another appointment with the consultant in 3 weeks (37). They’re not talking about an induction now either so baby will be here when she’s here. I am seeing the midwife in 2 weeks and I’m wondering if she’ll give me a sweep then (36) I had one then with DD1 then another at 37 weeks and she arrived at 38+3.

My mw seems reluctant to suggest/do anything with me because I’m seeing the consultant though so I’m guessing she won’t be on board with that.

We’ve made the decision now about the number of children we are having. That number is now firmly set at 2. I had asked yesterday about the possibility of a cs and sterilisation at the same time but consultant said no to cs. I can book in for the sterilisation in Jan though and apparently it’s only a 15 min procedure, I’m 95% sure that’s what I’ll be doing.

Baby is head down but not yet engaged although they said at the scan 2 weeks ago it was starting so no idea what’s happening there. I’m in soooo much pain downstairs I was sure she was on her way – it only gets worse from this point on lol.