Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

HELP sleep

Need a little help ladies, at my wits end.

DD has been poorly lately with a water infection so in order for us to get some much needed sleep to function properly we committed what feels like the worse sin ever and took her into our bed if she woke during the night and now she won't stay in her cot if she wakes.

We have tried everything including CC and she got upset and I got very upset to the point where i give in.

Any help would be apprieated

Thanks

Christine x

Replies

• Hi Christine

Sorry to hear you're going through a tough time.

Don't worry, I'm a firm believer in my saying that "any rods can be removed" image

How long did you do CC for? Have you tried a gentler approach (gradual withdrawal?) xx
  • Hi PM1

Tried the CC for almost a hour then give up as she and myself were so upset, the problem i had with gradual withdrawal was she wouldn't let me put her back into the cot after i had give her a cuddle to calm her down, do you think this is where i'm going wrong?

Christine xx
  • doing CC for an hour and then giving in is giving her mixed signals! once i started CC i decided it was kinder to let her cry and benefit from the sleep in the long run rather than let her cry cry cry and then just go against what i was trying to do in the first place.

i sinned too with getting her into bed with us, but there was no way she was coming back!!lol

i went in after 2mins, then 5mins, then 10mins, and then 30mins, but did touch her, just got down to her level and spoke softly saying "nuh night baby, mummy see you in the morning" she soon got the point!!

good luck!!!
  • I think it all depends on what you feel is right for you.

Lucy's right in that stopping CC after an hour just send mixed signals. Cc is blummin hard, but if you make the decision to do it then you *must* see it through. I did CC when I ditched A's dummy. It was horrid but sooooo worth it. The first night was by far the worst; she took an hour and 20 mins to go to sleep (crying for this time) but we stuck with it going in at intervaks to soothe her. It took 3 nights (less time crying at each night) and I can honestly say we've not looked back since. I did CC because I knew the only reason she was crying was because I'd taken away her dummy.

I'm not an advocate for CC lol, but It worked for us.

Do what you feel suits you image xx
  • The ladies are right about the CC if you are going to do it you have to see it through. The first night will always be the hardest but it generally does get gradually better on the second night.

If you really feel you cant do CC , and it is hard going, then def try gradual withdrawel. You wont see results as quickly and you will need patience and perseverance but it will get you there.

Think they all go through phases like this once they have been ill and I have also committed that cardinal sin of bringing lo into bed when hes not well and I am too exhausted to get up every 5 minutes so dont worry too much it can be fixed good luck xx
  • CC just didn't work for us at all. DS used to make himself sick and he wasn't worth the hastle! In order to get him to settle himself, we used to just keep lying him down in his bed everytime he stood up just lay him down (similar to returning to bed when they're older), don't talk to her so she's not getting attention and just keep lying her down until she gets the message to go to sleep! The first night with DS it was something stupid like 97 times!! Second night was 3 and took 10 minutes!

Second time round with DD we use the same method and she knows and will settle herself with 5 minutes! It is hard work, but it is worth the effort!!

The hardest for me, is when they woke in the middle of night, as it so easy to bring them to your bed, but I continued to do it and now 'generally' they will both settle themselves back to sleep again! xxx
  • Thanks for the advice ladies

DD has now come down with a cold so going to put off trying CC until shes well again and also i'm on holiday from work next week so lack of sleep won't be so bad lol

Will let you know how we get on

Thanks again

Christine