Forum home› Archived Birth Clubs› My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Going back to work :-(

Hey Ladies,
I cannot believe that my SMP stops in 13 weeks!? image Is anyone starting to think about going back to work just yet?
i'm starting to panic as we need enough money coming in to still continue to save ??300 a mth for our wedding in 6 months time! I don't think i want to go back to nursery, but i think i have found the perfect job!
It's a teaching asst in a primary school (ive always wanted to get into a school setting) it's only term time obviously image and only the afternoon class 1-3.30 mon-fri. I'm going to apply next week! It will also bring in the exact amount of the SMP that we will lose and my mum will just have harry for 3 hrs a day!!
It would be ideal, and would be great to get full time hours later on once H is bigger. The only downside is if i was lucky enough to get it that it would start mid April. So i would have to finish maternity a mth early, but i guess in the long run that's a short price to pay! Fingers crossed that not too many people apply!
Dx

Replies

• Sounds like you've found the perfect job. I was a teaching assistant before maternity leave and would love to be able to go back part time but have no family nearby to look after lo and wages aren't amazing so it wouldn't be worthwhile paying out for childcare.

Just a word of warning, the wages they state can sometimes be fulltime (37hrs a week) wages and not pro rata. Doing a 27hr week at a level 2 teaching assistant, I was bring home about ??650 a month. Might not be the case with the job you are applying for but just thought it was worth mentioning.

Jo x
  • Thanks for your reply honeyboo. Yes i've worked out roughly what it would be, i had to google how to do it!
    Luckily for us i also work with my mum as her carer so all i need to earn is the smp that will dissapear which is ??450 image I'm hoping as it's not alot not many people will apply, and as it's half way through the school year. Fingers crossed anyway!
  • Good Luck PP! Im a teacher in a primary school and I also go back mid April. Im also doing some 'Return to Work' days, but ive asked that they be supply so I get paid for them!

Im lucky really as Hubby is a chef so works weekends but has Mon and Tues off. My mum will have them Weds and my Stepmum Thurs. Im going back 4 days. Unfortunately, we still have some debt to pay back - not much, but I dont want to be paying it for the next 10 years, so going back to earn enough to see us comfortable again.

Will keep everything crossed for you. Its a fab job xx
  • I am looking for a job at the moment as we could do with the money but i only want to do 2 days which isn't too bad and i think it will be good for alfie to see his dad more anyway.

Good luck with the job. Keep us updated. XX