Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Should I try hungry milk?

Hi all!!

Charlie is now 14wks (where has the time gone!) and yet to sleep through:x He has an expressed bottle a day as this is all i can get off, and the rest is formula. He takes 6 oz in a bottle and sometimes 7, and feeds about every 3 1/2 - 4 hours. He has a dreamfeed at 11ish and will wake between 3 and 4 for another feed. I know he is hungry at this time though as can't be settled with a dummy and will take a good 4-5 oz.
I'm just getting concerned that he is having 6 6oz bottles in a day where on the box it say's 5, although I know all babies are different and you just have to follow their lead! I was just wondering what people's experiences were with hungry milk as I have heard mixed things about it. Do you think it would help him as he is a bit of a milk monster!

Any ideas appreciated, love my ds so so much, but could really do with a bit more sleep, even a 5 hour stint would be nice!

Rachel and Charlie xx

Replies

• dont worry abt guidance on the box it is just that guidance. every baby is different. at one point H was taking 4 6 oz bottles plus 3 bf ( of around 6 oz each also ) in a day. he had a massive growth spurt but I found when i stopped mixed feeding he settled right down. He has now 3 7 oz bottles and an 8 oz before bed and does sleep through except for dummy runs.
    If your lo is still hungry i would try upping his bottles to 7oz as standard first to see if this makes any difference. if he is still not going four hours between a formule to formla feed then i would give the hungry baby milk a try,
    also i know it may sound odd but have you tried missing the dream feed or does lo actually wake up? I was giving H a dream feed but it seemed to disturb him massively. when i dropped the dreamfeed and upped his daily bottles he was sleeping through within a couple of weeks. may be worth a try. hope this helps x
  • Thanks a lot for the tips, we have tried missing the dreamfeed but he then wakes up at about 1, ugh! I think I just have a bit of a guzzler on my hands. Will try upping feeds to 7oz as have heard about the theory of a bottle should be half their weight and last wk he was 13lb13. Also starting to stop expressing too as I think I've got repetative strain injury in my hand, lol! So maybe when all formula that might help too.

Thanks again for the tips!