Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

just out of interest.

If your little ones are feeding every 3 or 4 hours do you count that when they start the feed or finish the feed as Alfie can take 40 mins for 6oz which is fine but then i don't know whether to start the 4 hours from when he started or finished as i have heard they are not meant to go longer than 4 hours during the day.

Charlene and Alfie
XX

Replies

• Options
    Hi hun, I was always told to count from when the feed STARTS so that's what I do anyway image
    DD goes 4 hours between feeds now too, takes 6oz image
    xxx 6+1
  • Options
    oh right i was doing it from the end of the feed, oops. thank you i will start doing it from the start of the feed.
    As much as i was in two minds about gin=ving up breast feeding its so much easier knowing when they are going to need feeding and how much they have had. I feel i have made the right decision now.

Charlene
    XX
  • Options
    Hi Hun, i was also told in hospital to go from the start of feeds. Seth has gone 4 hours today from start to start which is amazing as couple of weeks ago he was only going 2!
    Sxx
  • Options
    I always do this and what we do with babies at work.
    Luen was drinking 6 but he been poorly so he taking between 4 and 5 but he is still goin about 4 hours in day and hoping 5 hours at night xxx
  • Options
    I have a slight problem, as i have said i was timing the feeds from the end and it was working really well but did mean that sometimes he was going nearly 5 hours if i was to do it from the start of the feed,
    e.g if he fed from 1-1.40 and he fed next at 5.40 that is 4 hours from the end of the last but 4.40 from the begining of the last if that makes sense.

Alfie was fine with this and now i have started doing it from the beg of the feed he doesn't seem that hungry at the next and is only taking 3-4 ozs. What should i do as i heard they should not wait longer than 4 hours during the day or ahould i go back to the way i was doing it as he was taking 5-6oz each time then?

Charlene
    XX
  • Options
    hia
    in hospital i was told by my mw to time feeds from the FINISH of one to the start of the next. my baby was born small so she was not allowed more than 3 hours between feeds day nd night for 2 weeks and this is how i was told to time them. i have been doing this from day 1 and dd is happy with this and has been putting on at least 10oz a week so it can't be doing her any harm. if it's working for you then keep with it.
    dd takes at least 6 oz every feed and feeds every 3-4 hours in the day and sleeps fr nearly 7 hours at night.
    xx
  • Options
    thanks you all for your advice, its so confusing isn't it? it is recommended that they have 5 feeds in 24 hours and i suppose as long as he is getting those then it is ok.

Charlene
    XX