Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Bad mummy

ARGH!!!

I have never been so scared before...

Dylan was in his highchair (we have the IKEA one and the strap is a bit poo, it only goes round the tummy and is very loose no matter how much I try to tighten it) and I was sat directly in front of him peeling a satsuma for him. Was concentating on peeling it (trying to remove the white bits from the segment as I hate these bits) and all of a sudden there was a HUGE crash. He's climbed out of his highchair and landed on the floor. I do not have any idea how he did it as he landed flat on his back and crashed into his plastic treasure basket (which he snapped with the force of landing!!!).

I panicked, threw the satsuma on the floor and picked him up, he had a little cry while I checked him over and gave lots of cuddles. Then he climbed off my knee and crawled across the floor, picked up the satsuma and started munching on it!!!! He seems absolutely fine but I was so scared.

I use to leave him in his highchair or activity station while I nipped for a wee/put the kettle on/grab him lunch but can't now as I don't know what he is going to do next!!!

Feel absolutely terrible although he appears to be fine, I can't help feeling so guilty.

Jo x

Replies

• Oh bless you must have been so scary! You are not a bad mummy at all, you just don't have 4 arms and eyes all over your head.

Sounds like the noise he made crashing was worse than his fall, blimey these babies can bounce lol think nature makes babies (of all animals) pretty resiliant, they are tougher than we think.

Just to compare notes AJ has fallen off the sofa twice, fallen over from sitting about 5 times (missed the cushions around him), fallen off the bed 3 times, I've accidently knelt on his fingers and hubby has dropped him. We aren't bad parents we're just tired lol and human xxx
  • yep, not a bad mummy at all honeyboo these things happen! phoebe has fallen off the bed a few times and it does make your heart sink but they are pretty tough these babies!

maybe its time for a new highchair?! image
  • You are most definitely NOT a bad mummy Jo. These things happen, babies are far more resilient than we give them credit for too hehehe so i'm sure you're probably feeling worse than him.

We've been to A&E once when Ava toppled backwards out of her tot-seat and landed with a whack on the back of her head on concrete floor; eeeek. Then we had the incident where she she fell and smacked her face on the floor, got a bruise right across her nose poor baby girl. I feel absolutely awful for these things, makes you think that as a Mummy you SHOULD have eyes up yur bum! But that's not possible, so we just have to deal with it.

Oh thanks for saying about the highchair though as i was going to be ordering that one this week as i'd heard good things about it being sooooo easy to clean! Is it the Antilop one?
    xx
  • Thanks girls! Just felt so guilty even though after a few minutes he wasn't bothered and was more concerned about not being given his snack!!!

Kelly, it is the Antilop one and it is fantastic to clean, I usually just pop it outside the back door and chuck a bucket of water over it! I've managed to tighten the straps some more, they are now a bit tight on Dylan's porky belly but I feel better knowing its safer!!! Don't let Dylan's fall put you off getting one Kelly, it really is a nice highchair and much better than the one we previously had.

Also love the fact that the tray comes off and only costs ??4, I'm getting an extra one or two next time I go to Ikea to use for messy play.

• Ah honey boo - The little monkeys are just up to everything.

~Yesterday Istood on DS finger, daddy later stood on hand. The other day he was sat on floor by our bed and he went to reach for my make up. Imoved and swung my thankfully un shoed feet off the bed catching him square in the foehead and sending him flying backwards. How guilty did I feel!!!!!

Next time he can have the make up lol xxx