Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

FAO SLOW

Hi honey,

I saw your post in baby about sleep training. Did your hv mention at what age you can start this at?

Dylan has never been a good sleeper, he is down in his cot by 7pm every night and settles himself without a dummy however, sometimes he will sleep for 3, 4 or 5 hours (you can never tell) . My hv has suggested trying to 'stretch' him between feeds, until he is at the point of getting very upset, as once he has woken the first time he then wakes for a feed every 2 hours which is exhausting (i'm exclusively bfing so oh can't feed him).

Last night he woke at 9.45 and used his dummy (replacing it constantly) and managed to stretch him to 10.45, he then slept until 2am and I stretched him until 3 am, then until 5 and i managed until 5.30 and he slept until 7.

I feel terrible making him go longer and having to rely upon his dummy as normally he is not bothered by it at all but hv is convinced he is really only waking for comfort. He is also a big boy so isn't going to waste away and i know it won't do him any harm, I just feel like a cow! I also just feel like using his dummy to stretch him is going to be a very long process and lead to even more sleep deprivation for me! image

Just wondering whether sleep training might work.

Thanks,
Jo x

Replies

• Hi Jo,
    Well my HV said that Seth was a little young at 19 weeks but as he is feeding well and not Hungry and is only sleep a max 6 hours then we are up with him every 20mins to an hour replacing dummy she said it would be worth giving it a shot.
    So in answer to your question she didnt give an exact age but i'm guess as Seth is a little young then maybe 5-6 months.
    Hope this helps, will know more on Tuesday so will keep you posted.
    Sx