Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Am i wrapped around his little finger???

Hi girls,

just wondering if anyone elses litte one does this. H is 7 weeks old and nearly everytime he is left in room on own ( i mean to go to loo, or make cup of tea not for long periods of time lol) he will spit his dummy and cry. I have tried returning and putting dummy in ( a million times ) but sometimes it just does not help and this can go on until i give in and give him a cuddle! I do not want him to learn too early that he gets picked up constantly. I thought he may be bored so made sure he had musical toys he could activate on his own ( kicky piano thing) but this does not seem to work.

I dont know what 'controlled crying' is but imagine it is letting him cry and not picking up but i hate hearing him bawl his little eyes out. All he wants is a cuddle, am i spoiling him by giving in a giving too many cuddles??

ANy advice appreciated xx

Replies

• Options
    The advice I was given was that babies cant learn bad habits before 3 months old and when they cry its because they need something, even if that need is just a cuddle. I dont think controlled crying is a good idea, at least until they can understand that you will always be there and I dont think they can this young. Unfortunately, I cant put this into action as my boys have to cry sometimes while im seeing to the other one.

Id say youre doing nothing wrong and enjoy him whiel he is this young. However, if you need the loo/a cup of tea etc, please do that as a little whinge/cry wont do him any harm. I dont want to be responsible for little yellow puddles on your floor!! lol!

Gemma, Ryan and Alfie (6 + 6)
  • Options
    They cannot learn bad habits this young and as gemmiebaby has said they need something - probably a cuddle! My lo didn't like to be left alone until about 3mths - before that they cannot understand that you are coming back and want to be with you all the time! they think you and them are the same person!

Re controlled crying - yes it is leaving them crying for small amounts of time, then going back to reassure them, leaving again and repeating, gradually increasing the amount of time you go away for! However this is not recommended before 6 months as they do not understand you will come back! Before that they need to feel comforted and reassured and know mummy or daddy isn't going anywhere!

Hope this helps a bit!

Tara and Ella (29 + 4)
  • Options
    my son is like this and i hate having him cry but for the sake of my sanity i have to leave him cry to get showered and do little jobs like put up my dinner or hang up the washing. my health visitor said it would do him no harm to cry for short periods so long as all his needs had been met.
  • Options
    Thanks for your advice it really helps. I feel less guilty about 'spoiling' him with cuddles. I have always been of the opinion that you cant spoil a child with cuddles and hugs but when i said this out loud got some funny looks like i was making a rod for my own back.

Gemmiebabie - lol- finally i can uncross my legs and go to the loo without feeling guilty!

He has been much better today with the crying . Took the advice and kept returning to him giving dummy back and quick rock before returning to make bed etc and he was fine, plus it gave me plenty of exercise up and dwn the stairs lol.
    xx