Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09

Portion sizes?????

Hi ladies!

Sorry I've not been around much lately, I went back to work when dd was 6 months old so don't get much of a chance to get on here often now, but it's lovely to catch up and see how everyone is doing!

Anyway, I'm hoping that some of you will be able to give me a bit of advice please as I'm really unsure of what size portions I should by giving my dd. We didn't wean her until almost 26 weeks so she's only been on solids for about 6 weeks now, but she's doing really well and enjoying her food and we're moving along pretty quickly, She eats porridge or some other sort of baby cereal for breakfast, then usually fruit puree mixed with baby rice for lunch, and some kind of mixture of veg & chicken or lentil puree followed by fruit & yoghurt for tea. She also loves experimenting with finger foods, especially little bits of all kinds of fruit and she loves baby rice cakes and spaghetti!

I know she's getting enough variety in the types fo food she's eating, but I just don't know how much food I should be giving her. Sometimes she seems really cross when her food has all gone, but I don't want to give her so much that she doesn't drink her milk (she has two 6-7 oz bottles in the daytime whilst I'm at work, but as all her other milk feeds are breastfeeds I can't be sure exactly how much milk she is having). Everywhere I've looked just says that if she's gaining weight well and following the same centile line on her growth chart as before she was weanded then she's eating the right amount, but the problem is that now I'm back at work I can't get her weighed as regularly as before so just wanted an idea of what size portions you all feed your lo's?

Thanks for your help,
Caroline xxx

Replies

• tough one! it depends on dd i guess! i dont really measure stuff out like i should, i just keep going until she doesnt want anymore! it sounds as though you are doing fine with your daily food intake, and if she is sleeping well i wouldnt worry too much!
  • Hiya,
    like lucyah says if dd is sleeping through and is gaining weight then i wouldnt worry but just for an idea....Seth is having 3 lumps of savory followed by about the same of sweet each meal (well apart from breakfast where he has porridge or weetabix! )
    I think 3 lumps is about the equivalent to a jar of baby food (one of the stage 1 jars not the big ones!!)
    He has 3 x 7-8oz bottles a day with that and i offer water with each meal.
    He then has a snack with his milk at 3pm either some banana or a biscuit etc.
    Sxx
  • It is hard to know. My little one is on 5 ice cube size of savoury and 2 of fruit, usually mixed with yoghurt. He also has water with his meal.
    he is not a baby who loves milk so has 2 6oz bottles morning and night and a 4oz bottle about 3pm along with a small snack.
    He eats it all and sleeps through, he did drop weight slightly last week so that's why I upped to 5 ice cube sized portions.