Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09

Feel abs rubbish!

Hi ladies,

not been on for a while as computer been broke and work is taking up all my time. Am just hvaing a moan really. Just feel crap at this minute. H is teething like crazy but on top of this he has this horrible throasty yucky sounding cough and is totally blocked up. Have been working untill midnight from Wed through to Last night so I know I am over tired and prob a little over emotional. Docotrs say he does not have a chest infection its viral but I hate listening to his raspy breathing. Hes not struggling or anything but it sounds uncomfortable. He is in ok form but more tired than usual and his nose is so blocked up no amount of spray/drops/ suction will clear it. Plus he fights so hard now when I try I am afraid of hurting him. Coz he is all blocked up as of this morning he is refusing any food. Took most of his milk but clamped mouth shut after one mouthful, guess he realised he couldnt breath. Will take him back to Docs tomorow if it persists but I just feel rubbish.

Since I have been back at work I miss him so much and now with him being poorly there seems to be nothing I can do and I feel more unsure of how to help him now than i ever did when he was born. Because I cant make him better and eat properly I feel like I am just a useless mummy and my confiedence is plummeting. I know its because I feel guilty about going back to work that I am prob reading too much into stuff but I cant help it.

Any way whinge over. Just needed get it out of my system somewhere where I know I wont be told not to be so stupid.

Hope you all keeping well xx

Replies

• Aw honey, sorry to hear H isn't well. You are not a useless mummy, the fact that you are so concerned over how he is, just shows that you are not. I think we all have worries and feel useless (especially over things we have no control over). You are also doing your best by going back to work and ensuring that H has a lovely childhood and everything he needs. I can't imagine how horrible it must be for you (my wages were sooo rubbish, it isn't worth me going back to work, which I am very thankful for) but those smiles when you pick him up after work must make you feel amazing.

Hope H is feeling better soon x x x
  • The smiles are lovely when I pick him up . He does get realy excited, and I know he is in good hands at Nannies and he loves it there so I know I am lucky to have a mum who is able to help so much ( in fact she told me she was going to sue as I was with holding access this week as she only had him for a couple afternoons on three days lol, greedy Nanny!) but I just cant help wondering if maybe I was at home I would be able to know what to do to get him to eat at this moment. Think I am just having a guilts attack . Thanks for the kind words xx
  • Bless you, I don't have the struggle of returning to work as I'm going to be s stay at home mum, but I can imagine some of what you're going through.

I think being a mummy will always make you want to fix your poorly baby, think that feeling will still be around when their in their 20's image

AJ had a string of colds and by the end trying to get calpol in him resulted in screaming that ripped my heart out, but we had to do it as it was the only thing that helped. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind and even though he's fighting you're being the best mummy by helping him. All this worry shows how much you love him, you're a great mummy for caring so much image

I hope he is better very soon and with time you will adjust to being a working mum and it sounds like he's having a lovely time with his Nannie so its great he's getting lots of love from his family xxx
  • Huni you're doing a brilliant job. Being back at work must be tough going and with that of course comes missing your son.
    Bless him, I hope he gets better soon. It's so hard when they're poorly or just "off" with teething (grrrr) but all you're doing is the best you possibly can do and yes, sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.
    DD is teething like crazy these last few days and she was crying so hard when I was trying to clean her face tonight and that upset me because she's not like that at all, and you'd think I was cleaning it with a dirty nappy image

Big hugs to you, you know we're always about if you need to offload xx
  • lol Kelly re dirty nappie face wash , still organic at least!!
    , it really is horrible when they are have about of teething. Everything just becomes so sensitive, even teats on bottles. When he is like that I have to dose him with anbesol , ashton and parsons powders and calpol to get him to be able to eat. Am still wrecked been up all night with him save for a hour and a half. Had to kick DH out so he could get some sleep for work this morning and did a very naughty thing and brought H in with me. Gave up trying to sleep at abt half 5 and brought some toys and teddies in.
    Went to the doctors just, they say nothing on his chest wont give anti biotics and gave me some cough linctus. Oh and he has passed it on to me as I have started coughing gunk up to the point i threw up. Am putting him down for a nap now and thinking of trying to get a snooze myself. Thanks for listening it really does help to off load. xxx
  • Ah how crap the Drs didn't do much and naughty H giving it to Mummy!!
    On a positive note, all bugs & viruses are good because it all helps to build up their immune systems. So, yep it's crap when they're ill but be worth it in the long run!!!!
    Hope you both feel better soon xx