Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in Oct 09
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How much does he do?

Just wondering how much your OH's do with your LO's? Mine does play with my little boy but when it comes to feeding, changing, bathing, putting to bed and night feeds he doesnt seem to do anything. He said he would do the night feeds last night and when LO woke up he was down stairs on the computer gaming. and this morning he didnt wake when LO woke up, so here i am again knakcerd. I dont mind doing these things with myh LO but it would be nice if he chipped in now and again. /He does do the cleaning, washing up and cooking most days but i iwould gladly swop the odd time

So what do your OH's do with your LO?

Replies

• It depends really as my OH doesn't always come home from work in time for bed time but 90% of the time it goes like this:

I look after N all day and when OH comes home I prepare the dinner while OH plays with N and they watch Waybuloo together (N loves it! hehe). Then I run the bath, OH brings up N and takes off his clothes, I bathe him, OH puts his night clothes on and bib, I feed him and put him down. Then we take it in turns when N stirs but I do all the night work!

OH has three weeks off for Easter now (he's a teacher) so he'll be doing lots more - he loves it though!

He's only just started going up to settle N if he stirs before we go to bed though...I was doing it all on my own for 5 months!! He could tell I was really knackered so has started doing lots more - He told me he was scared to do it incase N screamed because it wasn't me going in to see him! Crazy!

Anyway, maybe you and your OH can decide on a routine that involves both of you? Also, my OH kept doing all the house work etc thinking it was really helping me - I had to explain that doing the cooking gave me a little break to myself. Just have a sit down together and talk it through. You'll both get there - it is a lot of adjusting!

HTH

Gemma and Noah
  • Hi,

I have H all day then when DH comes in he will take over playing and have some daddy time. We both tend to have a sit down when he comes in before bedtime routine starts. Bedtime routine is daddys domain in this house, he does the bath , dress bottle, occassionally i help so i am not missing out but usually i leave him to it whilst i make dinner ( pointless trying to eat whilst H is still up as he gets tired and cranky and just wants cuddles from abt 6 on and bedtime is 6.30 to 7 pm so not long to wait really.
    I do any nighttime get ups but on weekends he will take a night off my so i have have a full nights sleep.

This will change when i go back to work, and bathtimes will then be shared as will night time get ups . Thinksits just about finding what works for yourself xx
  • Hmm well i actually do EVERYTHING!! BUT i'm not slating my husband, that's just the roles we've slotted into. He works very long hours, 7 days a week and i'm not going back to work.
    I actually really like doing what i'm doing, luckily i'm organized however there are sometimes when i could just do with a break.
    I do everything round the house too including cooking, ironing, cleaning, etc etc. My husband goes out for work at 7am and gets home around 6.30pm so he can see Ava before she goes to bed but i do the bath/bed routine anyway.
    The time he does spend with her is very precious and we definitely make the most of it. She loves her Daddy lots which is lovely.
    It won't always be like this, we're taking on more staff for our business to eventually take the workload off hubby and we're moving this year to then relocate business on site so he won't be far away. It's tough but i love being a Mummy and i have my own routine, but like i said i wouldn't mind a break every now & then image xx
  • My hubby does very little, although not through choice image

He leaves for work by 9am most mornings (7.30am on a Sunday) and doesnt get home till 10pm. We moved bath time to the morning, mainly because I was struggling to bath, dress, feed and get both boys to bed on my own, but also because it means bath time is hubbys time. I help get them in and out and I dress one of them but he does the bath. He hates this and would love to do more but he just cant be here. He hates that he cant do bedtime. He does bedtime 1 night a week - Monday. He would also get up in the night (although the boys are only fed a df at 10.30pm now and I wait till he gets home so he can do one of them) but I wont let him at the moment as im not at work and he is. When I go back to work we will switch mornings (the boys are up at 5.30am) so I get up when im at work and he will get up when im not!

Have a chat with him if youre not happy hun. Im sure he would love to do more but sometimes us mummies have our own routines and daddies come home and just dont know where to start!

HTH

Gemma, Ryan and Alfie 24 + 6
  • Think it varies with us all. I do spend all day doing everything with lo and i love doing it. Oh comes home at lunch and he sometimes plays with Luen but i had to tell him a few times that it'd be nice after he eaten if he could so i can eat and have 5 min peace lol! I love my kitchen to be tidy so probably do alot of un-nesscary tidying up but that just the way i am.. Oh does like to do the bedtime feed as he sees it as his time with Luen. Am lucky as he does get up with him in the moring but this down to me not hearing and oh sees lo as alarm (he wakes at 715ish) so fetches him and his bottle then i feed. I nearly always get him ready for bed, but on odd times hubby does do it. I bath Luen in the morning as i feel it works better for us, so hubby only really sees this at weekends.
    Me and my oh have had some dicussions before though and when we feel something needs to be said we to tend to say it and listen to each other. The answer i got about housework once was as a man they dont see some things such as washing etc and he said i have to tell him when i want him to do it!! And once when i said about helping me more at night oh rightly pointed out he does get up in morning lol...
    So after all my waffling- talk to your oh as am sure he will maybe not be aware, think it a man thing! xx
  • Have you asked your oh to do anymore Tigger? I use a good way of asking by saying first.. 'if i do the bottles will you.....' it seems a lot fairer than him feeling like he's being asked to do stuff all the time?
    Our routine used to be oh did the bath each night so H could have some daddy time.. But oh does the cooking so going to work, then doing the cooking and H was getting a bit much for him. Now we take turns. If he does the bath i feed him and put him to bed. If i do then he does the other bits so it's fair.
    I'm quite rubbish in the kitchen apart from cooking and puree'ing harry's veggies so it's best for all of us if oh does it. Although i have been known to do a quick tea of jackts pots or spag bol if oh is tired. He often does a pasta bake so we just reheat it another night.
    On the weekends so we both get one lie in a week oh will get up and feed him one day and me the other. He still never hears him in the night though so i'm up in the night if h needs a dummy run!
    Dx
  • My df when he's home does EVERYTHING for libbie, He loves being around her, When she was still waking at night i used todo the middle of the night feed, but he always does the last feed of the day and settles her to bed as he works all day and really misses her. I find this really sweet image it also gives me time to spend with my other girls and not being tied down to just the baby which is great image
  • i do pretty much everything apart from the cooking as my hubby cooks 4 days a week hen he's home but my hubby works 7 days a week 60 hours a week so i don't expect too much else really.